My rooster has gotten very aggressives

eggbudd

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
My rooster, who is just beautiful, has gotten really aggressive the last few weeks; about the same time my hens started laying eggs again. He was not aggressive when they were laying before. Any reason why he has changed? This morning i was collecting eggs, when I walked into the coop he flew up and attacked my head, then down and started attacking my legs. Any sugestions before he becomes a wonderfuly smoked dinner?

You gotta school him! Quick and in a hurry. Did you get your roo at the same time as your pullets? Same age? Sexual maturity can bring on the aggressive behavior you describe but you can nip it right in the bud.

Or...you can believe what dog owners always say...there are no bad roosters, only bad roo owners!
lol.png

He's found himself. Though domesticated, underneath still lies the genes and the instincts of a wild jungle foul. He's fierce warrior, a fighter, a defender of his hens. He has a sharp beak, talons, feet and muscular wings. His job is to battle and fight.

If you are to avoid rooster stew with him, you only have this present opportunity. Have on strong boots, army or hunting style heavy boots. A rooster primarily fights with his feet, so he understands boots as the superior warrior. Getting him to fear merely a broom or rake is not quite the same as fearing YOU. He must submit. He must see himself well below your status, or frankly? He isn't safe to have around. If you have kids or grandkids around, this is a recipe for serious injury and disfigurement.

Go after him. You should be the aggressor. No need to wait "til the next time". You initiate. Boot him right in the chest with a karate yell to scare the beejeebers out of him. If this is successful, you'll perhaps need re-inforcement every now and then. But his behavior gets worse or you still distrust him, for heaven's sake, stew him with spices, onions and carrots. He cannot stay. It is a back yard farmer's responsibility similar to those who keep aggressive dogs.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

He's found himself. Though domesticated, underneath still lies the genes and the instincts of a wild jungle foul. He's fierce warrior, a fighter, a defender of his hens. He has a sharp beak, talons, feet and muscular wings. His job is to battle and fight.

yuckyuck.gif

my daughter is deathly afraid of him, and she enjoys doing the feeding but wont feed till he is gone, so im making chiccken noodle soup this weekend.

You have made the right choice. Such a rooster could inflict serious permanent injury to your children or yourself. Just picture the damage a rooster's spurs or toenails could inflict on the face or eyes of a child. NOT WORTH THE RISK!

I just posted a recipe on the forum Aggressive rooster wont stop crowing.
If you can't dominate, then you can atleast dinnerate him.
wink.png

My head guy decided to peck me hard this morning while I was feeding the flock. First time ever. I raised him from a week old too the ungrateful little so and so! Anyway, I just happened to be holding a pan that I pour the food in. It is 12-14 inches around and a good 2 inches deep. Do you know what sound a rooster makes when you whack him with a pan like that? I do! He goes CLANG! My goodnes he was surprised. I then "went after him" like the other poster said. I got a stick and poked him and chased him all around the run. He was humiliated. this afternoon I went out, and he took a couple steps toward me and suddenly remembered his manners. I promise, he pecks me again and he will wish he hadn't now that I know the Tae Kwon Roo move that was posted here. I will punt him like a football. If he doesn't believe you are in charge, he will try to be. Take back control of your henhouse using whatever method you have to! Go TEAM HOMOSAPIEN!!!

Back
Top Bottom