My rooster has his head looking down all day.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mix3dbreed, Feb 29, 2016.

1. mix3dbreed

mix3dbreed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2015
    So i went to feed my chickens this morning and strange he wasnt the 1st one out. Then i saw the big black boy. But walking slow. Once he cleared the entry he kept his head down.

I touched his behind to see what was wrong and his head went up to normal. So i started my feeding frenzy.

I looked back and there he was again. Almost looking at his claws.

My dad made some cuts on his combs. He believes that he has too much blood there.

I dont have any hopes for him. But just wanted to share and learn about this.

Is it comon? Could it be prevented?[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is known as wry neck, a symptom that can be from head injury, vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases. Do not cut his comb any more. Give him some poultry vitamins including vitamin E, and selenium which is found in eggs, tuna, and sunflower seeds. Poultry Nutri-drench and Poultry Cell contains both. Most important is making sure that he eats and drinks enough. You may need to hand feed him r wrap him up and feed him feed mixed with water. Here are some articles to read:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. mix3dbreed

Sep 17, 2015
    I put some feed and water yesterday. Today i gave him some bread crumps and he ate them all.

He didnt fight with any other because hes the only rooster in the coop. Maybe vitamin defiencency or just naturla illnes. Thank you

4. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Keep up the vitamins for a while. I had a chick with wry neck who walked around like that for 2 weeks and then one day, she was totally normal again. I continued the vitamins for another week just in case. It's a selenium deficiency but is often caused by a vitamin E deficiency as selenium cannot be absorbed without vitamin E. I just bought selenium tablets and vitamin E drops and mixed those with poly-vi-sol without iron. Worked great. You just have to be patient and keep it up

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  5. mix3dbreed

Sep 17, 2015
    Thanks. We are going to try and find some vitamins. For now he is outside no danger from anyone. And has some fresh water and feed.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wheat germ is also a good source of E and selenium.

7. mix3dbreed

Sep 17, 2015
    Humm. Not sure we have that here. I will try and find out. Hes still in the same position. Gave bread. He went for it. Some feed and corn. At least hes eating.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Whole wheat bread is best, but in small amounts. Most nuts, seeds, ground meats and fish (tuna, salmon) contain vitamin E and selenium. Egg has plenty of selenium.

9. mix3dbreed

Sep 17, 2015
    Eggs and tuna i can do that. Thank you.

10. mix3dbreed

Sep 17, 2015
    Want to thank everyone who helped me here. And who knows, maybe this will help others whenthey have the same situation.

My rooster is doing fine. We gave him alot of diferente foods. He is much better.

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by