My rooster has started biting me if he is not in the mood to be...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, Sep 5, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    picked up. I don't understand, he is such a sweet boy most of the time. At first he did it pretty gentley, then tonight he bit through the skin! Is this normal?

2. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    How old is he?
    Sounds like he is coming of age.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    GOOD LUCK?

MMMMMMM, Sound like my LT. Bramham Roo lately he's done thing a few times to me too , last few time when feeding the chickens he waits until I turn around to go out the run and jumps up and grab me butt with his feet and bite's me in da back .....FUNNY yes NOT

been there -he's done that - don't thing he'll be doing it any more - won't say why- but next time he be chicken soup , MMMM GOOOD !!!!!!!

Al.

4. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    He is about 6 months

5. injunjoe

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:Not saying that but you will need to show him who is boss at least!

Rooster Red has a thread (that sounds cool) about this problem with some good advise.

Good luck! Mine were not mean yet just loud. No nice cure for that one!

6. injunjoe

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Quote:I think he is just being a rooster. Nature is very strong in them but you can try Rooster Red's ideas. I hope it helps for you.

7. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone

8. TeaLady

TeaLady Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Issaquah
    Somewhere here I got a suggestion that has worked beautifully for me.

The goal: convince him that you are alpha rooster. I mean, WAY more alpha than he could ever hope to be.

The method: snatch him up, flip him onto his back, hold him down, and yell in his face. You need to be a little rough. Remember, you are impersonating a really big, really mean rooster.

I did this after mine jabbed me with his beak, and a few times since then when he threatened other people. It doesn't actually seem to work on behalf of other people -- they just learn not to attack other people while you are there. I guess as alpha roo I get to be the one to beat up on my friends and family. [​IMG]

Anyway, do this every so often, just to let him know you are still WAY at the top of the pecking order. I have to carry my chickens from the temporary run to the temporary coop every night. I tuck my blood-in-his-eye roo under my arm same as I do my cuddly EEs and Aussie girls, and he makes NO move to attack me. No, ma'am, no move at all.

9. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Well mine iz roughly 8 months old or older from what I told he iz only showing who the boss of this hen houses, which is my nature ..... see I was told if ya have a few Roo in the hen house then there is a picken order # 1 Roo ---# 2 Roo and so on ........I was told to go into the run pen when feeding them to wave my arms and approach him as if I’m the head chicken waving my arms ....ya right my wife things I nuts now , can you see her seeing me do this . any way I do go into the pen and I do go up to him and back him down as if I’m the head master of this pen seems to be working , but I thing he’ll be Roo Soup before da winter comes around , I have to thing about when my grandson is with me in he pen at feeding time if ya know what I mean .........

I have RI.R Roo’s / BO. Roo / and Bk Giants Roos these guys never been like the Lt Braham Roo , even when I took out the lt Braham from the main run pen

Funny how wild life are so different -----but being the same species so to speak
    Glad I don’t have this problem with my koi -n- my asst. snakes / asst. reptiles /3 dogs and various other pets

Yes I have a mini zoo / in –n- out / at my house and my wife had to deal with it / me for 27 yrs. now LOL .........Chickens –Turkey- Quail- pheasant are me new additions LOL

Al

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Biting is his first challenge to your authority. I had one rooster who would do that for no reason out of the blue, then it graduated to spurring, even though I grabbed him up and carried him around. Nip it in the bud now, if you can, no pun intended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by