My rooster has stopped crowing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArnoldoOfferman, Aug 28, 2016.

1. ArnoldoOfferman

ArnoldoOfferman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2016
    My Rooster isn't even a year old, but he's big and healthy and has enjoyed being the ONLY male amongst 23 hens.

He has a No-Crow collar because we have crappy neighbors.

He still crowed, but it's stifled due to the collar- so all was good. As of two weeks ago, I realized I haven't heard much from him. He's eating, drinking, playing, and makes all other communication sounds, but his infamous crow hasn't been heard.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Sounds like the no crow collar is working!

3. ArnoldoOfferman

Jan 11, 2016
    The collar doesn't stop the physical crowing. It just muffles it. He hasn't even tried to crow.

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I think it's normal for them to stop trying with the collar.

5. ArnoldoOfferman

Jan 11, 2016
    Really? Did you read that somewhere? Curious on that for sure!

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

I use a no crow collar as well and my guy has stopped crowing too. He still flaps his wings and streatches his neck like hes going to crow but does not. Mine eats great, mates with his ladies, and offers protection to the flock. I look at the no crowing as the collar working well. I absolutely MUST keep the collar on mine. He seems happy and healthy otherwise. I look at it as a benifit!! Heres a picture of my Big Daddy. I wouldnt worry about the no crowing. Its just the collar. If you removed it, hed start right back up crowing again.This collar saved my roos life. Its 100% effective and NOT HARMFUL. It works so well it enables people like me to have roos when i couldnt before due to crowing. I think the collar is a God Send! I wouldnt worry one bit about your guy. The collar works better with some than others and in our case its 100% Effective.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. ArnoldoOfferman

Jan 11, 2016

Interesting to know and thanks for sharing. I didn't think they'd consciously stop crowing.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

Some dont. Its interesting as the collar will have different success rates . Getting the correct size for your roo is extremely important. Also CORRECT PLACEMENT of the collar is equally as important. Ive seen videos where the rooster still crows quite loudly. After having this collar it makes me think that the still crowing roos collar needed adjustment. The placement and tightness also effect success.with my roo, i followed the instructions and left a pinky width between the collar. As i watch him streatch his neck to crow the collar slips farther in place and does not allow the air expansion. Im greatful it is working like it is! We are very fortunate to have it 100% effective!

9. ArnoldoOfferman

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel better now!

10. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Very interesting thread as i was thinking about no crow collars. We live in a rural area with lots of roosters around us but my dad isnt too keen on the idea of a rooster on our property. Lucky my cockerel hasnt started yet but i hopefully wont have to use one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by