My rooster has the crud in his mouth(more info seriouse?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Mar 3, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I saw him slobering yesterday so I looked in there and he has brownish colored areas in mouth and slime.

The first part of January he had a bad cold and I gave him antibiotics for a week (aeuromycin).

He is in house in the bathroom and have never seen anything like it.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    could it be dirt mixed in with snot or drool?

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    LOL it could......but maybe not?

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Hi, just posting what seem to be the pertinent questions from the sticky at the top of the page:

1) What type of bird , age and weight?
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.?
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help?
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use?

Have you seen him eat or drink anything since you brought him in? Any wheezing, sneezing, drainage from nostrils or from around eyes? I'm assuming he completlely recovered after the January illness? Is his crop empty or full? Is he lethargic?

You might try using a q-tip soaked with warm water to gently swab his mouth (a two person job) in order to determine if it is just extraneous matter (`gunk') or discoloration of the tissue.

Good Luck!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    1. bantam leghorn,1 year old, 30 ozs.

2.outside he was picking in the litter a lot which at the time was dirty and wet ( I had food in bowls but they keep spilling), I change tap water twice a day and it turns to ice in between- I have now cleaned the whole shed-2 weeks was real bad for the temp was sub zero and I did not change-on top of that separateing roosters were in small cages

3.i think the poop is normal solid green with some white
    I gave him Aeuromycin

4.I dont have picture- his wattles are some what crusty and scaly but he had gotten into a fight with the other rooster so I thought it was just the old wounds but now it appears like bad dandruff

5. inside his lower jaw there is a large scab on each side of his mouth (beak) I picked part off and is bleading underneath-it does not appear to be a fighting wound

6.he has some gurgle snot and appears to be sick again from original (cold) but with new stuff (sores)

7.his comb is inflamed but lighter in color than usual

8.was feeding layena,scraps,greens,wheat bread.cornmeal

9. now Im feeding only layena,grit,water

10. he is more lethargic then usual but is not completely gone (yet)

11.he looks a bit pale

edit:12. crop was full last night and about 1/2 full today

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be canker. It is contagious and shows up as lesions inside the mouth and throat. If so, iodine applied to the lesions twice a day dries them up and Metronidazole is a med used for canker, but I dont remember how it's administered. If it is canker, they remain a carrier of the disease and can shed it to others in times of stress. The discharge from the nostrils could be something secondary, but I hesitate to actually diagnose anything. Do a search for canker and see if you think the symptoms fit. Ok, I found this on Dr. Peter Brown's site:

You would be looking for an Orange to Yellow looking mass that is firmly attached to the tissues of the mouth. If so that is Canker and must be treated with an Anti-Protozoal Medication. Iodine applied 3 times daily will slow it down and 1/4 Teaspoon of Copper Sulfate in the drinking water will also help slow it down. Treatment is with Canker Tablets ( Metronidazole ).​

7. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry tiki wasn't trying to be funny, just no body picked it up last night, so i uh you know(bumped it)

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    If it is canker, fish zole works FANTASTIC. Ours showed up kind of loking like cottage cheese in his throat, though.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    thanks everyone I will get right on that to get him better!

right now I got him in a cage inside sitting in the sun in the living room, I thought that would help a little.

edit: yet agian another reason why I shouldnt keep pidgeons in with my chickens

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    keep an eye on his crop, make sure it is emptying..since canker can be a cause of sour crop.

some vitamins wouldn't hurt..if you don't have poultry vitamins..you can use Polyvisol children's vitamins..2-3 drops every day for a week, then taper off.

nutritional roup and other deficiencies can also cause lesions and sores in the mouth, and crustiness, and "dandruff"..

so, make sure he gets some good feed and extra protein (cooked egg..some give a little cat food)
    and the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by