my rooster has what looks like foam in his throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by neophyte17, Feb 17, 2015.

1. neophyte17

neophyte17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    He has battled crd since he was young and just a few months ago started having seizures which I have seemed to control but now he has started holding his head up and swallowing just like he would when he is taking a sip if water. I opened his beak and I can see what looks like foam in his throat. He doesn't have a runny nose, no sneezing and he is eating and walking around but when I pick him up it sounds like his lungs are congested. I tried tylan 50, didn't work. I tried duramycin, didn't work. I have been giving him vinager water, garlic and oregano oil. But still has that foam and congestion. Any thoughts?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I don't have much experience with this, but it almost sounds like pneumonia. It's puzzling that nothing has worked for it as that's how you would treat pneumonia. I just wanted you to know someone saw this and I hope someone else can offer more advice.

How long did you use the tylan and duramycin?

Do you have him inside where it's warm?

3. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    I live in Florida and this winter has been mild. He is outside during the day but sleeps inside the house at night. I gave him the duramycin in his water for 14 days and the tylan injectable for 5 days. Today I started giving him sage and thyme. I am trying different natural herbs that are suppose to help with congestion since antibiotics don't seem to help.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Could you keep him inside for a while? We had congestion and stuff go through our home and what helped the most, besides having antibiotics for a case of pneumonia, was being warm and adding humidity to the air. When it gets cold here our humidity plummets and all sorts of havoc starts. I know people are different than animals mostly, but even our constant hacker of a dog is able to breath easier.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with Florida weather or humidity so I can only share from my own personal experience. I do hope you find something that works for him or that someone else can share their thoughts.

5. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I can keep him inside. Any other antibiotics that might work? I am also giving him sage and thyme in hopes that natural stuff will help

6. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    He has been on another antibiotic for a week now but he still has foam coming out of his mouth. In the morning he wakes up fine but by mid morning he is foaming at the mouth and you can hear congestion in nis chest. He eats and drinks fine and is active. Just can't figure out what he has

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry to read he still isn't fully recovered. I wonder if it just takes a while for that stuff to clear out. Anyway you can call and ask a vet just to be sure?

8. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    The vet gave me baytril which didn't work. He did blood work and stool sample that didn't show anything. Don't want to go back to him cause I think he knows little about chickens. I live in the city and can't seem to find a vet that does. I asked the feed store where I get supplies if they could recommend one and they couldn't say. Most people around here I guess just cull them if they get sick. I only have my two roosters and they are my pets. Woul

9. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    Wouldn't dream of culling them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by