My rooster hates me!!!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTeenyTinyFarm, Jan 14, 2009.

1. TheTeenyTinyFarm

TheTeenyTinyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Elberon, Virginia
    I have a silkie rooster...about 10 months old...when I go in to feed or just go in the area to see the other animals, he chases me and tries to attack me! Why is this and what can I do to make him stop and trust me? Does he need a hen?

2. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe he thinks you are the hen? Most people suggest a number of remedies; pick him up and walk around with him, hang him upside down and carry him by his feet. He thinks he is the alpha, you'll have to show him you are the alpha.

3. TheTeenyTinyFarm

TheTeenyTinyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Elberon, Virginia
    Thank you...I'll give that a shot. I'll try anything at this point!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:That would work too. [​IMG]

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:That would work too. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

if you believe everything that has been posted the silkie is just trying to infect you and take over your mind so you become one of their menions

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We finally rehomed an aggressive silky roo. Even lengthy cuddling by his 11-year old owner never trained him to be nice. And DH lofting him off his leg like a fluffy footcall didn't work either.

So Meester went to live on a farm.

Good luck with yours. I have no silkies at the moment, but expect more eggs for the bator any day.
    Haven't met a silkie yet that I wanted to keep. But I'll keep trying [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have a JG roo that is pretty good, but occasinally he he get a slight attitude. He will run up and bump his chest into my leg. So I leave a "spanking stick" in the coop. When he bumps my leg, I immediately get the spanking stick and chase him around the coop while tapping him on the fanny with it. He is totally humiliated by this and will then behave himself for at least a month.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line.
    It may be of some help.

9. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I read somewhere that Silkies make a pretty good stew, you could try that....

10. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Hi,

I'm not familiar with the roos, but I have 7 Silkie hens and they are all sweethearts. I think it is odd that you have had bad experiences with all of them. Hope you finally find the perfect Silkie (hen, of course)! Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by