1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster hurt his leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 13, 2011.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I guess he jumped out of the coop or something. He dont put any weight on it at all and his toes are curled. He hops around on the other leg. Is there something that I can do, or should I just eat it? This is my first time owning chickens. I was supposed to have 9 hens and one rooster, but I ended up with 8 hens and 2 roosters. I think that is one too many roosters anyways.

2. Julz2u

Julz2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Virginia
    My rooster hurt his leg in Dec. He stayed in the coop for a couple of weeks. felt of his leg and it didn't feel broken or dislocated. I made sure there was food and water inside for him. After a while he came back outside. He still limps but he can manage his rooster duties. They usually know when they need to stay off of the leg.
    Hope this helped some.[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    well your right on the hen to rooster ratio, 1 roo to 10 hens is about the norm, but if you want to give this guy a chance just rest him for a few days maybe a dog crate so he doesn't have to use his leg much and hopefully it will heal. does it look or feel like its broken? could just be a bad bruise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by