My rooster is a brooder

7gr8kids

In the Brooder
May 16, 2016
I am new to chickens and bought some at an auction just for eggs and for the kids to have fun. It was a mix of hens and roosters. I don't know the breed. Mostly greenish egg layers. I had a hen that decided to start brooding, so I thought let's leave the eggs and see what happens. One of my 3 roosters decided he needed to brood with her and as a result eggs kept getting kicked out of the nest. The chickens started laying in other places and my young rooster who is at the bottom of the pecking order... Or so I think is a rooster... Started brooding the eggs. There's a pile about 10 or so and he sits on them religiously amd pecks at you if you try to touch the eggs. Today my son came running in and told me he heard the eggs chirping. I thought he was lying and sure enough and egg was chirping!! That was a surprise. After reading Google I learned that's normal and wow there's going to be babies!! My question is, should I separate the young rooster and 'his' eggs? Or do I just leave it and hope no chickens try and kill the babies? And can a rooster be a 'mom' to baby chicks or will this turn out horrible?! not sure what to expect or do? Any advise?

I have heard of roosters sitting on eggs while the hen gets a break to eat and drink. But I have never heard of one taking over as a broody. Maybe your rooster is really a hen. Do you have any photos so we can check him/her out? Very interesting.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Please do post the pic -

He/she is the smallest of them all and was labeled young rooster at the auction

Haha, I can't wait to tell the kids Tiny-saurus-rex is a girl
1f602.png
. Do you know what breed it is? It's way smaller than the rest but looks similar to them. Is it ok to leave them with all the other chickens or should they be separated?

Old English Game bantam. They are very determined broodies, and they make great moms. If you want to let her hatch some eggs, I advise setting her up in a dog kennel or pet carrier inside the coop. That way, she can brood in peace without the other hens pestering her and adding to her clutch, but she still remains in contact with the flock. Do you have a rooster for fertilizing eggs?

Thank you. She actually is in a large pet kennel inside the coop, that's where they chose to nest that batch of eggs. The door is open currently, so she can come and go where she pleases. I will close the door so she has privacy. How old should the chicks be before I can open the door to let them all wander? Currently she is on layer ration, I'm picking up starter for the chicks, should I put both in the pen? Or should she eat the starter too? Yes there is 2 roosters, one that is the same as the hens, (I assume bantam too), he's the 'top dog' so I think he's the only one allowed to breed. And the other one is a really big black puffy one. His hen passed away so he hangs out with one of the other batam hens.

Starter food will be better for her right now that layers, so i would advise just using that. When to let them out is down to you and your judgement. I let momma decide what and when to do what she feels is right, but this is based on a bit of experience with my particular broody, and i was far too overprotective with her first hatches -now i am totally laissez faire in my approach.

CT

Back
Top Bottom