My rooster is a coward

Thespoiledchicken

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Long Island
Help, I need advice
idunno.gif

I have a 23 week old Light Brahma rooster who is doing a bad job of protecting his girls. I currently have 16 pullets (17-23 weeks old) free ranging with him all day. I have lost 2 recently to a very tiny hawk
hit.gif
I stopped this hawk today from taking another girl and it was my Umbrella Cockatoo (in the house) that alerted me to a problem. She has a window view and started screaming when she saw the hawk, rooster didn't make a sound (but did manage to get himself under a bush). I'm starting to think he might not be such a great flock rooster. He never calls the girls over for a treat and I have even seen him pull a few feathers out of pullets who get to close to him while he is eating (he is a big boy, lol).

Currently I have about 50 other chickens in a grow out coop that will eventually join the older ones, they are between 5-14 weeks old now. In this group I have 4 roosters- 2 are polish, 1 BCM, 1 BLRW. These guys won't be up to the job for sometime. Should I rehome the Light Brahma roo and get a better flock roo or is he still a little young to expect him to be protecter and treat finder? I know Light Brahmas are slow to mature so maybe he will get better, no? As far as I know he is not "doing the deed" yet and still does not crow. Can some roosters just be lazy and pigs? I just want to give my girls a fighting chance against a predator and so far I feel like this roo is just a freeloader, and a fat one too.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Trish

He is still very young... My cockerel is the same way. I know he will get better, as I have seen him making some warning calls about my cat today. He will most likely come around. He should at least warn them!

He would only be nearly 6 months, right? Give him time.. At least another couple months...

I would give him time to see how he matures. It might be he just isn't quite there yet if he isn't even crowing yet??? Can you only have one rooster? You could keep him and maybe one of the younger boys will be more of a main man?
I now have 10 boys and all get along pretty well but I know not all do. It does seem some have certain jobs in the flock. the head roo is good at all, alerting, calling and protecting but others call, others do more of the alert one boy is the squabble breaker upper and some just hang out and chill with the ladies. LOL Some shown this early and some didn't even start to crow or show an interest in the girls until 8 months old.
Give him time. He might end up being the perfect roo all around!

Thank Aoxa. I was thinking that. He is about 5+ months so maybe that is young in chicken time. I guess I'm just upset about losing 2 of my girls, and to a hawk that is so tiny too. He is like 5 times the size of the hawk, lol. I will give him time, thanks.

Trish

Quote:
No problem. My cockerel is around the same age. I really am not 100% sure, but he is at least 3 1/2 months old.. more like 4..
hmm.png
And he runs away, eats before the girls, doesn't crow and scares easily. My silkie rooster will warn, share food, and break up hen fights, but he would be useless against a predator. He can't even outrun the neighbourhood children
roll.png

Hopefully my BR roo will protect them a little better. He still better be a gentleman to them (AND ME!) though.

Thanks everyone. I will give him some time. I am not limited on roos but I am afraid of having to many and them fighting. When all are matured I will have 5 roos to about 60 girls so I thought any more would be pushing it. I wonder if I added an older roo and kept him also would there be war at my house? Or should I just leave well enough alone.

Thanks,
Trish

Let me tell you, I have a Buff Brahma roo who just turned a year...he is JUST now doing his rooster duties. We have a younger roo who was far more vigilant when it came to keeping an eye on the girls, but he is rude when it comes to the mating duties. My buff brahma would stuff his face before even thinking of the girls. Past few weeks...he is very attentive very polite. Calls the girls for food and scans the air. Your still has quite some time to go before he is fully mature it takes them 18+ months at times. Thus always good to have a good back up roo....be patient, he will pay off. Another idea...hand suet and treats that will attract the crows and jays...they're the best hawk detourants we have.

Two things I'm reading into this: (1) he's still very young and learning his duties (2) there might be too many girls for one roo to take care of all by himself. You might want to consider getting another roo or two to help him cover the flock.

Back
Top Bottom