My rooster is a psychopath rapist...

slavedriver01

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
We have a buff orpington roo that is very quiet. He NEVER goes outside. And so I thought this weekend I would sit for hours on end waiting to see why. I assumed he was being pecked on and maybe was bottom of the pecking order. My heart went out to the poor guy. Like he was the victim of bullying perhaps.

What I saw was a bit disturbing. It turns out all the hens stay outside away from him!! He hides by the door and waits for the hens to go inside and he grabs them and rapes them. They come flying back outside all panicked. Another roo can go in and all is fine....but the hens don't dare go in.

Needless to say, he's now isolated. And the hens can safely go back inside. I was a bit shocked by how he literally hid in the shadows inside and waited though. Not sure what I should do with him now or wait to see if he grows out of it. He's a massive and beautiful roo.

Is he a subordinate rooster? If so, this may be the only way he can mate at all. He is only trying to spread his genes like nature programed him to do. If you have the room, you could give him a group of hens of his own, preferably old, dominant hens. Maybe he will learn to behave in a more gentleman-like manner.

this is pretty common behavior out of the rooster at the bottom of the pecking order of roosters. He gets it how he can. He knows he can't go out side and get away with it in front of the top roo. This behavior is a real problem in caged birds.
sorry

We have tons of space. Maybe that's what we should try. I wouldn't mind breeding him because like I said he's massive and gorgeous. He's not aggressive at all towards us.

If I had my way, I would have a little coop and run for every breed I love. Lol but I think hubby is getting more interested in building our own house than more coops right now. Ha! Maybe next spring..

How many chickens do you have? How many roos? If you don't want to cull an aggressive roo, what will you do when they breed, and you have more aggressive roos next year? I'm not trying to be mean or pushy, but sometimes you need to remove a troublemaker from the flock for the good of the flock. Imagine how stressfull it must be for the girls in your flock.

We started with 10 chickens (4 were hens and 6 were Roos). Last week we culled 2 white silkie Roos because they were very aggressive...and we picked up 12 more hens. So now we have 16 hens and 4 Roos. They are sharing a coop but are still separated by fencing so we can introduce slowly. I had no idea this guy was aggressive until yesterday when I sat and watched what was happening. We don't have a problem culling, it's just a shame when he's one of the best looking Roos. Lol

Got it. I've culled down to one roo, for no other reason than the fact that I don't want 2 birds crowing. And he's doing a fine job covering 16 pullets/hens. But, if he steps out of line, my plans for spring hatch will fly out the window.

this is pretty common behavior out of the rooster at the bottom of the pecking order of roosters. He gets it how he can. He knows he can't go out side and get away with it in front of the top roo. This behavior is a real problem in caged birds.
sorry

I think this reply fits the problem exactly. I would think if he had his own hens away from FF dominant rooster he would probably act a little more normal.

We started with 10 chickens (4 were hens and 6 were Roos). Last week we culled 2 white silkie Roos because they were very aggressive...and we picked up 12 more hens. So now we have 16 hens and 4 Roos. They are sharing a coop but are still separated by fencing so we can introduce slowly. I had no idea this guy was aggressive until yesterday when I sat and watched what was happening. We don't have a problem culling, it's just a shame when he's one of the best looking Roos. Lol
His behavior does not mean he is aggressive. He is hiding in the coop to avoid being set upon by your other 3 males and attempting to breed the only way he can. If he were separated with his own harem you could very well see more normal behaviors.

Even with 16 hens, 4 cockerels is an awful lot of testosterone. You may want to consider separating them out into different flocks to keep the peace or downsize on the males.

Back
Top Bottom