My Rooster is a Wuss! LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mak, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Yeah. He's a WC Polish and is 11 weeks old this week. Now, I know the behavior may well change in the next few weeks as he "comes into his own," so to speak. And I am NOT complaining if it doesn't! LOL

But- for a rooster, he don't make much of a Big Man! He crows, maybe twice, every two or three days. We can barely hear him in the house, so I doubt the neighbors even know he's there. I've seen him do the puffy feathers and try to chest bump the two top girls in the bunch, but Monty is the one who always backs down first. He stays completely out of my way, and waits for me to pick him up and give him treats. Ok, that may be because with his big poof of a hairdo he can't see them otherwise! And if any of the girls (including the WC Polish, who is definitely low hen on the totem pole) come up and peck at him a couple time, he just lays down and lets them peck away at his feathers. I've been watching and they aren't drawing blood nor do they seem to be really hurting him, but it's amusing to watch. It'll be really interesting to see what happens when he decides it's time to start mating behavior. The girls will probably laugh him right out of the coop! [​IMG]7

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

He sounds like a wonderful cockerel who should grow into a well mannered and perfect gentleman roo.

My Roo - he is huge, over 11 pounds - also lays down and lets the girls pick/preen him. They usually pick around his face and neck area - not pulling feathers or drawing blood, just pecking and cleaning him.

A good roo will avoid you - cause you are "head roo", so from respect he gives you distance. I do have a couple bantam and large fowl roos who run up to me, but that is for loving and petting, they are not being mean.

Just wait, it will not be long and he will be giving the girls treats right out of his beak - they are lovers that way. [​IMG]

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    They do seem to mostly peck around his head and face. I didn't realize chickens would groom each other.

And he is a good boy. I'm very happy with him so far. Read so many stories about nasty cockerels, and have friends who had one that would not stop attacking their daughter, no matter what they did. Apparently, he just got it into his head she was a threat of some kind, even tho she's grown up with chickens and knows how to behave around them. He doesn't live there anymore. [​IMG] I was a bit worried. Hoping our Monty stays a good, polite boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by