My Rooster is Acting Like He's Been Spurred-Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicknsRock, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    My rooster, Licorice, was standing around listless this morning. I don't know if he's been spurred or what. He keeps his eyes closed but he drank a little and he won't eat. What should I do? I can't find a wound and he's not that listless. He does occasionally cluck.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring him inside,keep him warm(very important,when ill/injured/in shock,chickens cannot regulate their body temp)try and get some electrolytes into him for shock.

3. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    Thanks. He doesn't seem like he's in shock though but I just brought him in a put him in a box.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. I have a rooster named Licorice too! :) I hope your rooster gets better soon. Have you contacted a vet? If you just call a vet they may be able to give you some advise over the phone. As ten chicks said keep him warm. Does he have contact with any other roosters?

5. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    I don't think a vet is necessary, and he is in a box right now keeping warm. He is a free range game rooster who runs around with about 7 other roosters.

6. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    Licorice is still alive and he is acting a little more lively; clucking, walking, etc.

7. That's good!

8. x2

when he gets better what are you going to do about the roos that spurred him?

9. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013

10. good! maybe he just came down under the weather for a few days.

hope he gets better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by