1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Rooster is acting Really funny and I am not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewbyFarmer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. NewbyFarmer

NewbyFarmer New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Hello! I am completely new to chicken raising and am not sure what is going on with my Rooster.

Last week we treated him with Sevin, because of fear that he might have mites. He has been swinging his head around in an S pattern and then shaking it. The Sevin seemed to have worked or at least reduce the shaking of the head, that was until this morning.

This morning I noticed that when I let him out of the coop, he was bloody from being pecked (he was pecked last week, but after we treated him the girls left him alone), stumbling around like he was drunk and doing the S head movement very frequently. He was pecked around the head on both occasions, the first was the back of the head and this morning in for the front or neck area. He also sat down within 10 minutes of me letting him out this morning, which is not his normal style. He is only about 6 months old, but I am not sure what to do for him or what he could possibly have. Next step is to bring him to the vets, but I was hoping for a little more direction too - I do not want to loose him.

Thanks for any help!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Does he do the head movement after eating?
    Or just before mating? Part of it may be that he is trying to establish his order in the flock.

Did you see mites on any of the chickens or the rooster? Generally you can see them.
    How did you apply the sevin?
    Was the area ventilated well when you applied it? Just trying to get a better idea of what is going on.

3. NewbyFarmer

NewbyFarmer New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks for getting back to me, and to answer some of the questions:

1. He does the S head movement all day long. More frequently in the morning and prior to roosting. He will do it also while on the roosting perch and then randomly throughout the day

2. My husband told me about the pecking order and this could just be part of it, but the acting "drunk" is what has me worried. I have not seen him try to mount any of the hens yet, but the two times that he was pecked, it had happened after we put them in the coop for the night.

3. The mites appear to be on his comb and our 4 other hens do not appear to have them. And as for the application, my husband was the one that applied it and he said that he dusted him while in the open area of the coop, so yes well ventilated, although the rooster was not very happy about it. He also treated their coop.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions. As a new chicken owner I just want to make sure I am doing what is right & good for them.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for the additional info.

You were correct to treat them for mites. I use sevin also for treatment. Be sure to treat again in a week after original date. The way I dust mine, (using gloves and wearing a face mask or covering my mouth and nose with a handkerchief) I go down the back and up the breast bone. I get under their wings as well. When one of mine had mites, I could see the small red mites as well as white eggs on the feather follicles. (Northern Fowl Mites)

Other things I would advise you check in to maybe it could be a respiratory disease. Do you notice any heavy breathing from him? Drainage?

Lice, maybe hard to see. But check very carefully.

Could he have suffered from frostbite? Don't know where you are located but I have heard that chickens will do this after a bad case of frostbite. This should be visable on his comb if so. It will be a black/grayish color on the tips.

Could also be something neurological. But it would have probably showed symptoms much earlier than just recently.

And last I have is gapeworm. Gapeworm is very rare however. The chicken will gape, or appear to almost be choking at times. Hope this information helps.

I also would like to inform you I have 14 roosters currently. Most do the neck shake at some point. Not constantly though. I see them on occasion do this. If he is doing it constantly, I would say something is probably not right.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by