1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster is acting weird.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Namble, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    My buff brahma rooster (see avatar pic) does this weird thing where he squats down and shakes himself while he scoots backwards. It lasts about 4 seconds. Hes been doing this for as long as I can remember. It looks really weird in real life!! I am really anxious to know why he does this. Anyone have any answers?

-Grant

2. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    I was going to post this topic myself too. My 14-week old roo brahma (he maybe a x-breed americauna? has tufts and beard) is doing this too. He seems to be scratching his feathered legs and his chest also. He becomes vulnerable to predators when he does this. At times he gets so pre occupied with this behavior that he becomes unaware of his surrounding I can easily pick him up from behind. He also is the only one that prefers to sleep on the floor and not roost with the rest of the flock. Does anyone know this type of behavior? Is this normal?

3. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Anyone know why?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Have you checked for mites? That's the only thing that comes to mind right now. My brahma roo frequently raises and shakes his hackle feathers, but only for a few seconds at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by