My rooster is attacking my dog!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CleverCluck, Jul 16, 2019.

1. CleverCluck

CleverCluck Chirping

Jun 5, 2019
    Cartersville, GA
    i have a 6 month old blue crested polish rooster who is a tiny little thing as roosters go but he stalks and attacks my 4 year old rat terrier mix! my dog is afraid to go in the back yard now, Lou (my rooster) runs up behind him and jumps on his back! what do i do??

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Put the dog in the house.

aart and sourland like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separate them. Or put the rooster in the pen or pot. The dog was there first.

aart and chrissynemetz like this.
  4. CleverCluck

CleverCluck Chirping

Jun 5, 2019
    Cartersville, GA
    the dog does stay in the house but he goes in the back yard to do his business, it is fenced in and i have always just let him out but i would like to train them to live in harmony if possible, maybe i will just have to keep them separated, it just surprised me, i figured it would be the other way around, i wasnt expecting this!

Stiletto likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might want to get rid of the cockerel.

Tycine1 likes this.
  6. CleverCluck

CleverCluck Chirping

Jun 5, 2019
    Cartersville, GA
    Well a couple of days ago right after he jumped on the dog i chased him and wrestled him down and scolded him and stuck him in the pen for the rest of the day and since then he goes the other way when he sees the dog, but i will have to get rid of him if he starts back. he is my only rooster and my hens adore him and i do too, the last rooster i had attacked me and my husband but totally ignored the dog, acted like he didnt exist!

7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Your rooster also thought it would be the other way around. He's attacking the dog because he thinks the dog is a threat to his ladies.

Mixed flock enthusiast, sumi and aart like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhMan, I wish you had video of that!!:gig

9. CleverCluck

CleverCluck Chirping

Jun 5, 2019
    Cartersville, GA
    it's actually kinda funny watching him stalk the dog, he looks like one of those velociraptors in jurassic park, my back yard is pretty big but as soon as lou hears the back door open he starts stalking lol guess i will just have to keep the little devil penned up! i thought polish were the most docile breed but he is a little firecracker! hope he never turns on me!

10. Sueby

Sueby Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    CT
    I don't have any suggestions - but I want to see a pic of your dog! I have a rat terrier mix too, I don't know anyone with one & had never heard of them before we rescued Patrick. Pic, Pic, Pic!!:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: