My rooster is attacking my hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mypollitos, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mypollitos

mypollitos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Gua
    Hello all, I'm not an expert at having chickens, so please be help me.
    In March as a familly we decided to raise chicken ang got 2 baby chicks that promised to be hens, a little eager we got two short hens and now we had 4. The thing is that one of the chicks became a RIR rooster and this week he began attacking really mean attacks against the hens in the coop, he even attacks and chases people.
    Is this expected? will he become a sweet bird like before?:barnie
    I don't want to give him away. here is a pic of my favorite today she is beat up and of Jose our roo.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If your rooster is attacking the other chickens that is a sure sign he isn't a good one to keep around in my opinion.

Roosters attacking people isn't good either, and I get rid of them when they do that, too.

Roosters do go through a period of time when they are growing up, where they don't treat the ladies well and try to mate with them as they are screaming and trying to get away, and that is normal.

But they should NOT be hurting the hens. He should NOT be actually attacking them.

3. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    i have a young roo who lunges at the hens but doesnt actually "attack" them. i think it might be normal. but he is not aggressive towards me or other people.. and the RIR roosters have been said to be aggressive. i wouldnt keep him

4. mypollitos

mypollitos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Gua
    Thank you for your help.
    We kicked him out of the coop for a couple of days and left him in the yard so the hens would get a break from him. My 10 year old picked him up, petted, played ball with him and this seems to have calmed his nerves a bit. In a family census we decided to give him a chance, hopefully the solitary time helps him reconsider his behavior.
    Noted he has not drawn blood or anything it just seems too rough and the ladies are not agreeing to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by