My Rooster is attacking one of my hens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCchick1924, Mar 12, 2012.

1. NCchick1924

NCchick1924 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Ruffin, North Carolina
    My Rooster (A Rhode Island Red) keeps attacking one of my hens. I have no idea why he keeps attacking it my husband and I believe that he thinks that it is a rooster but it is definitely not we got it last year as a bitty at chick days at tractor supply, the bitty was in the same crate as the americaunas but is definitely not an americauna, the hen produces a light brown egg as opposed to a colored egg. Any suggestions as to why the rooster is attacking the hen.[​IMG] It is very frustrating having to quarantine a chicken!!!!!!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He could be attacking her because there's something wrong with her, or just because he's an A-hole. Its hard to give an answer without more info. What's the hens behavior been like lately, is she acting normal? What happens, if anything, before he attacks? Is she not squatting for him, does she run? If I observed this type of behavior in one of my roos, he'd get a special necktie, meet Mr. Hatchet and be the guest if honor for dinner one night. IMO, a roosters job is to tend, protect and breed the hens, not terrorize them. Good luck.

3. NCchick1924

Mar 12, 2012
    Ruffin, North Carolina
    At first there was nothing wrong with her, the chicken has been acting fine, and nothing happens she just like walks or moves when hes around and he puffs up and then attacks her, she is now missing an eye or if she can still see out of it it is very little that she can see. she also had deep cuts on her neck and chest but after quarenting her she has healed, I'm not sure if she is not squatting for him or what she has been with the group since she was a bitty but since he started attacking her she stays to herself and stays in the woods during the day and hides out. but still roosts with them at night. oh yea I told my husband that if he started attacking other hens that I have a bullet with his name on it and we would be eating rooster stew haha. But yea the rooster is supposed to be the protector and have many girlfriends but not be a woman beeter haha

4. NCchick1924

Mar 12, 2012
    Ruffin, North Carolina
    beater*

5. NCchick1924

Mar 12, 2012
    Ruffin, North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    this is him

6. kachia

kachia New Egg

Mar 19, 2014
    hi. From what i can find on the net nobody knows why an otherwise perfectly good rooster would suddenly attack one particular hen. All answers are completely irrelevant to my situation. I have a cock that is a wonderful head of the family for everyone (a mixed lot) but for one hen that he decides to hate. Last year it was a rousse (French name - no idea what it is in English). I had to separate her, so for over a year she lived in her own "quarters", walked on her own and so on. I thought it was because she was getting a bit old (around 4 years). Few weeks ago she died and I thought all would be well and back to normal. Well, the cock decided that a white sussex would do nicely, so he started to attack a perfectly healthy (up to then), laying young hen who until then lived nicely and happily within the coop. I had to separate her, cause she started bleeding badly from the neck. Whenever he can lay his beak on her, she gets hammered and it goes bloody. I am very frustrated, because my sussex used to lay one egg every day, but she gets very stressed and will probably stop laying. Why is this happening?? He doesn't attack any other hen (7) or the other cock (well, they don't particularly like each other, but manage to live side by side...). Nobody knows? Really??!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by