My rooster is biting now:(

Okay so the last two days my barred rock rooster has been biting me for the past two days is there a way to make him stop ?
hmm.png

Coq au Vin.
http://sunstonefarmandlearn.com/2009/10/25/favorite-rooster-recipes-coq-au-vin/

Why the attitude? You came here asking for help.
Here is some advice that you may or may not want to hear but I'm going to share anyway. I believe that physical punishment works. Many might and probably do disagree with me. I've tried being soft on my roos and treated two like pets and it almost cost me my eye and a six inch scar down my face.
First off, roosters are NEVER to be pets. Plain and simple. I don't care what anyone says, with all that testosterone flowing through their bodies they are unpredictable and can be downright dangerous; even to an adult.
I have been flogged twice by my big EE rooster years ago. I booted him after both attacks and he has always been a gentleman after that day. A well placed kick will not only stop an attack but can completely change a roosres view of your status in the flock heirarchy. I only use this severe of discipline for an attack of some sort. I chase a bird when they size me up for an attack. Roosters do the same thing.

For minor things, I just grab the rooster by the back of the neck and pin him to the ground for 30 seconds or so. That's what a dominant roo would do.

I have had some roosters never learn, their drive to be top bird won't allow them to accept a lower position and I've had to kill(&eat) them because of that.

Some people think that just ignoring bad behavior will make it go away. I don't find this to be true. I've been attacked three times by my Mom and Dad's rooster. Each time I boot the snot and he "behaves" for the next month or so but always lapses back to physical aggression because my parents ignore the bad behavior. I honestly think he could be a decent too if they kept up with the discipline.

So whether you will take my advice or not, Good luck with your Roo.

By the way, I just thought I'd add that the roo that almost took my eye was killed immediatly and eaten. He did happen to be a little chewy.

Last edited:
My first choice with a roo that is aggressive would be the stew pot but if you are willing to put in the time and effort you can teach a chicken (hen or roo) to respect you but with a roo it might require physical aggression. In the meanwhile make sure he is kept away from your face and small children.

Why the attitude? You came here asking for help.
Here is some advice that you may or may not want to hear but I'm going to share anyway. I believe that physical punishment works. Many might and probably do disagree with me. I've tried being soft on my roos and treated two like pets and it almost cost me my eye and a six inch scar down my face.
First off, roosters are NEVER to be pets. Plain and simple. I don't care what anyone says, with all that testosterone flowing through their bodies they are unpredictable and can be downright dangerous; even to an adult.
I have been flogged twice by my big EE rooster years ago. I booted him after both attacks and he has always been a gentleman after that day. A well placed kick will not only stop an attack but can completely change a roosres view of your status in the flock heirarchy. I only use this severe of discipline for an attack of some sort. I chase a bird when they size me up for an attack. Roosters do the same thing.

For minor things, I just grab the rooster by the back of the neck and pin him to the ground for 30 seconds or so. That's what a dominant roo would do.

I have had some roosters never learn, their drive to be top bird won't allow them to accept a lower position and I've had to kill(&eat) them because of that.

Some people think that just ignoring bad behavior will make it go away. I don't find this to be true. I've been attacked three times by my Mom and Dad's rooster. Each time I boot the snot and he "behaves" for the next month or so but always lapses back to physical aggression because my parents ignore the bad behavior. I honestly think he could be a decent too if they kept up with the discipline.

So whether you will take my advice or not, Good luck with your Roo.

By the way, I just thought I'd add that the roo that almost took my eye was killed immediatly and eaten. He did happen to be a little chewy.

I'm actually even more tough on roosters than RoostersCrow is. I do not tolerate any aggression from a rooster whatsoever. It never gets to the biting stage. We have a Two Strikes policy at our place. If the rooster challenges me once--and I do NOT mean attacks, I mean makes an aggressive move like not moving away from me when I move towards him--I will chase him all around the pasture, squawking and flapping my arms. When I catch him, I will pin him down in the dirt until he stops struggling. With most cockerels who were just testing, that works. The next time I see an aggressive move, however--he's gone by nightfall. A rooster that attacked me would not get even that second chance.

I would not put up with RoostersCrow's rooster. I would not want him in my flock. There is no point to "keeping up the discipline--" just get rid of the rooster. Roosters are not pets. They are beautiful, but dangerous and must be treated as such. Also, rooster aggression has a strong genetic component. You do not want chicks by an aggressive rooster.

Also, there are thousands of roosters culled every day simply for the crime of being male in a world that wants pullets. Cull the aggressive roosters and save the life of a sweet flock protector who's never done anything wrong.

I had a roo that never attacked humans. If you can not get him to stop it really is better to move on.Your new roo might be great like mine was.Why keep a mean one? Good luck!

Hi Piggirl.
Your going to get a lot of different advice on this question and you have the right to chose which one if any is right for your flock.
As for mine,

I have 7 baby chicks being raised by 2 broodys, 6 hens at the point of lay, 4 hens laying and 2 roosters. I do not eat my chickens. They are pets with benefits.
love.gif

My rooster,Trousers, started to be test me and was getting a little aggressive, I guess you would say. On one occasion I had my husband catch him and hold him on his side for a few minutes in front of the rest of the flock. One of my hens even walked by him and pecked him while he was down. That was funny.
clap.gif
He was thinking he was all that and he needed to be taken down a notch.
Then another time he kind of came at me, I am a girl of small stature, but fiesty myself, and I thought oh no, you just didn't do that! So this is what happened:

A hawk has been coming by the coop everyday.He actually got 2 of my baby chicks. I know you cant shoot them but I take my bb gun out to the area while the flock are free ranging and I shoot up in the trees to scare the hawk away.

Well, one day while I had the rifle the roo kind of stood up to me. I screamed at him and started chasing him around with that gun in my hand. He had the living daylights scared out of him. I even nudged him with the barrel a bit. That did it!
He has never forgotten it.He is also a different rooster now. He is never been aggressive again in any way.

We also gave him a little time to "grow up" I believe a young rooster will be a little fiesty in the beginning and then mellow out. By the way, my other roo is a polish and he is scared of his own shadow. So they all have different personalities. You have to work with them a little, not just eat them if they are bad.
This is just my humble opinion, so keep it nice everyone
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom