My rooster is crippled?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckyCluck, Nov 21, 2012.

1. CluckyCluck

CluckyCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    He wasn't feeling so great yesterday - and today I went out to find him sunning under the rabbit cage when I picked him up his left foot was curled under him.

I brought him into the house, and I think it's both feet that are curled. I sat him on my bed and he never moved. His wings are hanging, and he is sleeping. He is only 6 months old.

His poop has been watery for a couple days - at least I think it's his poop. It's always somewhat clear and just shoots out. Looks like green mixed with clear.

Any advice?

This chicken stuff is harder than any other animal I've had in my whole life!~

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    He does not sound well at all. I would check his for mites and lice but sounds like possible worms or coccidiosis. I'd keep him separated from the rest until he gets better..

3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
  4. CluckyCluck

Jul 4, 2012
    Mac - after reading your post - I do remember him "throwing up" but I didn't think anything of it. That was over a week ago. It was just clear liquid after he drank some water, it came back out of his mouth after he walked away. I think I may have seen this twice.

I don't know ALL the chicken behaviors so I don't know what's normal and not. I only noticed that he wasn't being quite as spunky as he normally is 2 days ago. Yesterday he was still okay....but not eating the oatmeal and grapes anywhere near as quick as he should have been. He was on the roost last night when I was counting chickens to make sure everyone was home.

I am going to go get the Poly vitamins and I'm wondering do I just give him some in his mouth? I can't get him to do anything other than sleep and a few sips of water.

Would worms cause his feet to curl under him?

5. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    The curled toes is odd. Is his spine okay?? Any injury?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It could be Merek's.

7. CluckyCluck

Jul 4, 2012
    No - has no injuries.

He's just sitting back on his hocks or leaning all the way forward on his chest.

I got the vitamins, not sure how much to dose and if I just put it directly into his beak.

8. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA

I agree :(.

9. CluckyCluck

Jul 4, 2012
    Dont they have to get it from another chicken?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, but other chickens can be carriers of the virus and look 100% normal. I once had a hen that had been vaccinated as a chick and I think she had the ocular for of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by