My rooster is dieing and i cannot do a thing

epitidios

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
I have a rooster really ill. He started with a worm infection, and then after recovery all of the sudden he lost ability to walk. He kept on losing weight, and now he is literally skin and bone. I saw him a while ago, and he seems that he is about to die any moment soon. The area between the chest and the beak is really swollen. What can it be? Is it possible that this concentrated food and water?

I don't think that he will make it tonite.
sad.png

Quote:
Impacted crop???

@joebryant I have him isolated. It is too late to take him to a vet. Its Friday 1900 hours here. I don't think that he will make till Monday. This is the 5th bird i am losing. I lost one from worms, two due to respiratory disease and one from unknown reason.

I agree with the above poster- do you know your chicken anatomy? This sounds like a large crop- impacted or sour. At this point if he is **skin and bones**, you have probably waited to long to address this, but if you have access to a vet to confirm the problem, surgically remove the material and show you how to tube feed him- he may have a small chance.

I don't think that he will be alive till Monday.... I noticed this problem this afternoon. Is it possible that i caused this? I was force feeding him the last two days. I like this rooster. He is my favourite one.

Sounds like he may have crop stasis. The food is staying in the crop and he is starving. There is nothing to do other than surgery at this point and even then, sounds like it's gone on too long. This is a hard one. I lost two hens to that whose crops failed when they were molting and got hold of some mold in a bad feed bag.

Quote:
Impacted crop???

@joebryant I have him isolated. It is too late to take him to a vet. Its Friday 1900 hours here. I don't think that he will make till Monday. This is the 5th bird i am losing. I lost one from worms, two due to respiratory disease and one from unknown reason.

I had a similar time problem last month on a Saturday when I was sure my rooster would be dead before Monday. Sorry that you're going through this. Luckily, mine was still alive on Monday morning. He spent the week with the vet being treated for a near-fatal respiratory infection. Just in case, I am now treating my flock of ten bbs Orpingtons and six silkies with a preventative for respiratory infection.

I have just beheaded the rooster.
sad.png
Loads of food was stuck in the esophagus. I didn't that this can happen to a bird. Because he was sick, i was feeding him bran only. Poor roo he was my favourite one. How can i spot this to a bird in advance, so next time i can save it.

Back
Top Bottom