My rooster is doing the shuffle dance to me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xmissjadie, Jun 23, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have a 3 month old silkie rooster and everytime I go in the yard he does the shuffle dance to me. Is that normal? Does he know he's suppose to be doing that to the hens? Maybe he's just a little confused. lol. He is still young though. [​IMG]

2. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I'd love to see the shuffle!!
    He is obviously excited to see you. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's normal or not!

3. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yeah, I'll have to take a video sometime! [​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Roosters do the dance to impress the girls or display to other roosters their dominance.
    When mine do this I pick them up, pet and cuddle them.

Cinnimon, partridge Silkie, actually loves to be picked up. He gets pouty if he don't get his cuddle.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The next step is flogging. Convince him that you are not beneath him in the pecking order.

6. gallatea

gallatea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Yes, I would agree with the above. That "dance" is about dominance. And it's 100% normal. Mine did the same thing at the same age - a frizzle. He now dances, then attacks my leg and draws blood. It sucks when they turn out that way. Not all roos are the same - I have one that is sweet as pie to me, only "dances" and attacks my large dog, but no others. Also, this "show" is about trying to mate. I see my roo's dancing before they hop on a hen and mate - they latch on with their beak on their neck, and can pull out feathers at times. It's pretty brutal. And they don't stop quickly. I wish they could be neutered.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    He shuffles you should be doing the kick.

8. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Quote:They can, it's called caponizing. But it has to be done when they are young.

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Aww! My roosters used to do that too, but they always got picked up and cuddled and that seemed to teach them the lesson. [​IMG]

10. Sheepy

Sheepy Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Quote:LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by