My rooster is hen pecked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nccountrygirl, Nov 30, 2007.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Literally, in the last few day I've noticed that Moes tail feathers have looked funny, this morning I saw why, a few of his girls are pecking him. Could it be that they have started this because he has finally figured out that he is a rooster and has been doing the rooster dance? It's strange that it has just started happening as they have been together since they were chicks. Any idea? Thanks

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I do not know if that is it or not. My little polish rooster was fine one day and then the next morning as I am tossing scratch out to them I notice a spot on his head. I went across the yard and scooped him up. Those mean girls had torn most of the feathers out of his head! He is still in confinement while they grow back in. I have never seen him do the dance he is still to young but you never know.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My poor Hawkeye keeps having his wattles pecked and pulled on to the point of bleeding all over his chest. I keep separating him till they heal, then his younger girls start up all over again. Poor boy actually slept in a milk crate off the roost last night! Probably didn't want to be tortured in his sleep. [​IMG] Nothing works, not Vicks Vaporub, Ichthammol, Vet Rx, hot pepper, nothing stops the little hussies. Hawkeye is almost two years old and his original girls the same age dont do that.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    That is strange that they would do that, since they have been together since chicks. I could see this happening if they were a more dominant hens and he was a youngster. I hope you put blukote on him so they won't pick at him anymore. Maybe putting him in with some more passive hens would do. Good luck and my sympathies for poor Moses he just wanted to lead his people to the promised land lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    my roo is hen pecked but not in the way yours is -- I have 15 standard hens, 1 banty hen and my roo is a banty and he tries to be the big man in the yard but his girls bully him all the time -pushing him around, chasing him all over the place ! poor guy cant get no lovin.
    so spring I am going to make him very happy - with his own yard and a few hens his own size !

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by