My rooster is hobbling around on one foot. What should I do????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenrookie14, Mar 10, 2013.

1. chickenrookie14

chickenrookie14 New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    I have a rooster that is about 7 months old. This afternoon when I went out to the coop I noticed that he was standing on one leg and refused to put any weight on the other leg. He lets the lame leg just hang down and doesn't really tuck it in like normal. He is able to move the leg itself, however he doesn't seem to be able to move the toes on the leg. He is obviously not motivated to move much and just stands on one leg in the middle of the coop floor. When he sits down he lets himself flop down and then sits awkwardly on his side to not put any pressure on the side with the injured leg. When he is standing he tucks his tail way down and is definitely not a proud rooster at this point. I had not noticed this before this afternoon, however I do remember him roosting on the lowest rung last nite which I thought was strange, but could have been because he couldnt get up any higher with an injured leg.

Is this an injury, infection, or something else??? please help!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It's hard to say, he could be injured, or be sick. You may have to feel his leg and decide if you feel a break.

3. chickenrookie14

chickenrookie14 New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    I cant feel any obvious broken bones, however I am by no means an expert. When I was feeling his leg he would wince in pain as I touched closer to the "knee" joint, but it was not an obvious point of intense pain.

He seems to be relatively lively for having a lame leg and he will hop around the coop but his movements are limited.

Do you suggest asking a vet? or is it not worth the trouble?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is it worth it? Well that's something you have to ask yourself. A neighbor gave me a chicken with a broken leg once, I think I could wiggle the bone, so she was splinted and put in a sling for 6 weeks on my patio. She's still with me.

It would be worth the trouble to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by