My rooster is hurt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chuckEboy, Mar 26, 2015.

1. chuckEboy

chuckEboy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Came home and my favorite rooster (Red) was waiting for me as usual by the steps but he wasnt picking up his head and looked hurt. I can't find any punctures or blood. I felt all his wings and legs and the only thing I find is his neck seems to have possibly been broken. He is hanging his head down and just standing still unless I bother him. I am really attached but dont want him to suffer. Shiuld I just put him down or is there a possibility he could make it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I answered on your other thread about his possible wry neck.

3. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    Yes thanks I saw it. I went to take a pic and couldn't get the camera to work on my phone. He was fine yesterday and when I got home today he wasn't. No blood or obvious damage like he was attacked he won't walk around but did crow a few times but not up to par with his normal crows. I am gonna try the vitamins you suggestdd and keep him separated from the flock. I hope he gets better he is my favorute chicken and the boss of the yard and so beautiful. If the other rooster tries to get after me Red runs him off.i will post a pic after work tomorrow if I have to use my wifes phone

4. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ad up more and more each day. I am pretty sure it's not a disease or vitamin deficiency but rather an injury from a scuffle to be dominant. I am currently building 2 more runs so I can separate all 3 of my cockerells and give them each a few girls of their own. I will also alternate them free ranging once every 3 days since I have been free ranging them as long as I have had them. With that lesson learned my advice would be to never keep roosters together because it's not worth the risk of loosing one of them or having them hurt for life. Red is my buddy not just a chicken. If one of the other boys comes at me Red will run them down and get them straight. If I call him he will come and get in my lap and let me pet him .

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Occasionally it works out to keep 2 roosters together if they grow up in the same flock, but there is always the possibility that one will decide to beat up the other. I have seen it happen with cockerels coming into adulthood, and it is just more practical to keep them separate. The hens also appreciate having just one rooster in the flock. I hope he recovers for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by