1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My rooster is learning to crow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster0209, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    A few weeks ago the crow sounded really froggy and was one syllable. This morning the two boys have the two syllables down and its almost a real crow.

I thought they always just knew how to crow. When I read here that someone's was learning, I thought that was funny because, don't they just know that. Guess not.

I am really enjoying these chickens even DH thought it was funny this morning. Sometimes when the wind is right or its quiet out, I can hear the roosters crow at the farm up the road a mile or so. Farm life is the only way to go.

ps
    if anyone is interested there is a night farmstead across the road and up a bit from me. the house needs some work but its 8 acreas and a nice steel pole barn w/concrete floor. [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My 2 roosters need vocal lessons. They have the same crow, started crowing on the same day, but they are both very hoarse sounding. They've been crowing for about 2 months now with very little or no improvement. [​IMG]

3. Galaxie_Man

Galaxie_Man Chillin' With My Peeps

My 1 year old RIR learned on his own and crows like an old pro, while my 5 month old EE roo tries to learn from him. They alternate their calls in the morning, old Brewster first, then Schuster after. I think it's pretty funny right now, but he'll learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by