My Rooster is loosing feathers, Also i'm new here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CarlitosRussito, Aug 13, 2014.

1. CarlitosRussito

CarlitosRussito Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi! I'm new to this site and I don't know much about it, but I'll know how it works. So I'm from Texas and I have one rooster and one hen, but I'm thinking on getting two more hens in the future. Anyway, I would like to know if there's a way for me to get my beloved 3-year old Russo's feathers to grow back, he still has feathers on his back but he has parts of his body which show red skin. Is there anyway for the regrowth of his feathers? Also, a few months ago I treated a lice infestation that was causing him the feather loss.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. Have you checked Russo over good to make sure he is not having more lice problems? It sounds like he is moulting. All chickens moult, including roosters, although not usually that severely, but it does occasionally happen. If he is moulting, his feathers will definitely grow back. Just to be on the safe side though, you should probably post this on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Russo.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

There are several reasons for feather loss. The three most common reasons include molting, feather picking and mites or lice.

If the bird is molting (which happens once or twice a year) they will naturally lose feathers. Molting generally starts at the neck and moves down. Make sure your flock have lots of protien. Foods with the hight protein content include peas, mealworms, fish, eggs, meat, quinoa and oatmeal.

Another reason for feather loss is feather picking also known as cannibalism. This is when other birds are pecking the rooster. The causes for feather picking include: lack of nutrition, lack of space, being bored and aggression. Fix this problem by making sure your chickens have lots of space. (8-15 square feet per bird in the run and 3-6 square feet per bird in the coop.) Make sure they receive the proper nutrition. If you have mean birds you may need to separate them for a while.

Mites and lice can also cause feather loss. Ask about how to treat them in the link provided by Michael. Make sure your chickens can dust bathe too.

Good luck with your rooster and welcome to our flock!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! You've been given some good tips here. Good luck with your rooster.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice above, good luck with your roo.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would get some pics and post this in our emergency section for more help. As Mountain Peeps has said, lots of things can cause feather loss, but this could be a health issue and pics will help.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to our flock!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. CarlitosRussito

CarlitosRussito Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Thank you all for the the great advice!! I feel great here already!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by