My rooster is losing weight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickencoop97, Aug 26, 2014.

1. chickencoop97

chickencoop97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Hey guys I have here a rooster I named Pula (in english means "red") and he is 5 months old and just begun his 2nd juvenile molt - i see shafts coming from his neck which is the start of new feathers - and is LOSING weight! Is this normal? I'm really starting to worry because now I can feel his chestbone(?) whenever I lift him up to pet him.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is he acting healthy otherwise? Its normal to feel the breastbone slightly, but if it is very prominent, there could be something wrong. Worms, a mite infestation, and disease can cause loss of weight. I'd check for mites (look in the feathers, especially around the vent). Watch him for any other signs of disease.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is common for molting birds to lose a little condition while they're molting. Keep an eye on him, make sure he keeps eating, and he should be fine. You might also consider worming him to make sure that internal parasites aren't increasing the problem.

4. chickencoop97

Aug 11, 2014

Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately. Yup, he's acting normally. He's just as active as before and is eating well. Can I wash him eventhough he is in molt? Also, what feeds should I give him as he undergoes this stage?

5. chickencoop97

Aug 11, 2014

Will do. I'll update this thread for news about my roo once I've done what y'all advised. Also, how long does this molt last? I'm planning to use my roo as a breeding stock but was told that the offspring would be "weak" if I breed birds during their molt.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you can wash him, if you need to.

To help with the molt, try upping the protein that he is receiving. You can switch to a game bird grower feed, provide some scrambled eggs every few days, and give some black oil sunflower seeds. Mealworms and other insects are also high in protein.
    A molt can last for 4-8 weeks, usually. Some birds finish sooner. I've never heard that a molting bird shouldn't be used for breeding- I've used a molting rooster before with great success.

7. chickencoop97

Aug 11, 2014

Ok will do. I'll feed him what you said here. Interesting. I'm under the notion that molting roos produce weaker semen and thus will yield weaker or substandard young. My roo here is a sweater roundhead cross. Following what you said, I can use him for breeding then? Thanks so much for the reply. I'm really appreciating it. :D

8. chickencoop97

Aug 11, 2014
    Additional question: what breed of rooster have you used breeding while in molt? Can you elaborate on it? Sorry if i sound demanding but this really is important for me. Thanks so much in advance :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by