My rooster is making my cochin bald

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa202, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My cochin has a bald spot on her head (from the comb to above her eye) for the last 2 weeks or so and it's slowly getting bigger (it's about 1/2" x 1") I couldn't figure out why this was happening as I didn't see anyone pecking at her.

Well, this morning, there it was...the rooster was mating with her and instead of grabbing her on the back of the neck like he does with all the other chickens, he was grabbing her right where her bald spot is and on her comb. I guess b/c she is more squatty than the other chickens, his reach goes beyond the neck and that's where he ends up grabbing her.

I've seen the saddles, but is there anything I can do for her poor head?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow. Tough question. I would try some of the "no peck" type stuff. Most feed stores will have some brand or another. Blu-Kote might help, too. Can't see a hen wearing a hat for long.... but the image is funny!

3. Autumnchicken

Autumnchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Woodstock, IL
    My rooster was doing the same and nothing stopped him from hurting my girls and now he's in the stew pot!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remove the rooster unless you want fertile eggs. Monitor closely to make sure that he does not start lacerating her neck with his beak.

5. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I read that a hen can stay fertile for a week after mating. Maybe you can separate the roo and just let him in weekly for "conjugal visits".

6. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Would that work for my DH??

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Even at this age,[​IMG] this guy "just ain't gonna go there."[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by