1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster is mating with...well...my rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 7, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, this is just a touch disturbing. [​IMG] We have a total of 3 roosters (which was not intentional by any means). Our most "manly" rooster, Sigmund, is a Golden Campine. Stunning little guy and a perfect example of where the term "cocky" started. LOL anyway, one of my other boys, Ron, is a Red Star and probably the world's most effeminate rooster (I doubt the poor guy will ever even try to crow). It appears that Sigmund thinks so too, as he tries to mate with him all the time. Is it possible I am wrong about Ron or is Sigmund just confused? I KNOW he has to be male. He was a yellow chick and has tons of white now (have no clue how the hatchery got mixed up on a sex link chick?). Anyway, just wondering if this is common?

Thanks,
    Christy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe post a pic of your sexlink roo? A red sexlink male should be white.. and really am not sure how they would miss that one as a chick. Either way, might have to get more hens, else you risk them going bald due to mating when the boys really get going.

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I am going to put a pic of Ron. The onyl thing I can figure is the hatchery never got the notice we ordered ALL females. We got a pretty even split. We ordered 10 and have 5 girls and 4 were boys (one died in transit so who knows on that one). We have already found a home for one boy. He was a very agressive (well, to other chickens, he LOVED to be held and carried around) but gorgeous Ameuraucana. Anyway, as for Ron, he was the softest little fuzzy yellow baby. Not even close to red. I didn't even realize he was my Red Star for the longest time because I KNEW he was the wrong color. Here he is now. I call them hens and roosters, but I suppose I am wrong. They were born in October, but they just seem so GROWN. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Not entirely sure, but I am almost positive that "Ron" is a hen! [​IMG] He/ she looks exactly like my red sexlink girl except for my girl has a larger comb.

5. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't know anything about sex links, but that looks like a hen.

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Welllllllll.........we have actually made many remarks about his ongoing gender identity crisis.....yes, he LOOKS like a hen to me too. However, I am going by the fact that he should have been red as a chick and pretty much totally red now. However, if someone has a sex link hen this color (meaning he could be a she) I would be THRILLED!!! However, he will have to go back to being called Lily as he was originally. [​IMG]

7. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Lily is a beautiful name! Congratulations on your "new" hen!

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL....thanks. [​IMG] Here is a pic of her/him (LOL) with my oldest son. He is the one who originally named her Lily and then changed it to Ron. They are best buddies and I would be oh so happy to know Ron really IS Lily after all!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is a 100% sexlink HEN! Congrats!

"red" sexlinks are different shades of "red" depending on what hatchery you get them from. I have a "red" that is that color and a "gold" that is red. [​IMG]

Maybe time to post all your birds to verify gender. [​IMG]

Here's my red sexlink.

[​IMG]

They may have interchanged a gold sexlink in there too.

10. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Congratulations on the sex-link! [​IMG] Very glad you found out. Those sure are beautiful hens, luvmychickies and silkiechicken! Great Job! Good luck with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by