My Rooster Is Mean To His Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoriHasChickens, Feb 9, 2012.

1. LoriHasChickens

LoriHasChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Hi,

I have a small flock of 9 hens and one rooster that will all be a year old in March. I have browsed some of the other threads about rooster behavior, but thought I'd ask my question specifically.

My roooster has been hurting two of my hens in particular when he mounts them. He leaves them with bloody heads and the hens even hide from him in the coop, and haven't been eating to avoid him. Is this normal rooster behavior, is there anything I can do to curb it? I would like to figure out any options I have before my last resort of culling him. I am also interested in knowing more about putting him in a "bachelor pen."

Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm not the best one to advise you; I ended up rehoming the rough rooster I had. He was fine with us people, but he was just too rough on a few of my girls. He bloodied the comb of my BO (more than once) and my little EE would hide in the coop (as you've said). But three of them did okay with him.
    Some roosters are just rough on hens, while others are very mannerly and won't even mount a hen unless she squats for him. My hens come first, so I won't have a rough rooster. Our current rooster was older and more mature (he was two when we got him two years ago) - and he is very good with our hens.
    Your rooster could mature and learn to be more mannerly - or not - some are just rough. Stress on your hens often results in poor egg production - something to keep in mind. Also, bloodying them can have very bad results, because blood often attracts pecking chickens (canabilism).
    You can keep him in his own run (maybe with a doghouse), eat him, rehome him, or maybe rehome the hens who apparently aren't suited to him (assuming it's the same hens that avoid him or are being injured). I know what my vote would be (lol), but maybe he's special to you...

3. LoriHasChickens

LoriHasChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely take all of that into consideration. I agree with you, my hens do come first. I think I will try seperating him and maybe he will mature into a nicer rooster. Like I said, culling would be my last resort. He's not aggressive to my husband or me or our other animals, and he is a beautiful silver laced wyandotte. If that doesn't work I will try to rehome him. Thanks again!

LoriHasChickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by