My rooster is missing feathers on his neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hambone, May 30, 2010.

1. Hambone

Hambone Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    My roo is missing feathers on his neck right below his head on the left side. It looks almost raw. Its been like this for a 3 weeks now.

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Have you seen any of your other birds pecking your rooster's neck? I'd seperate him if that is the case and put some neosporin ointment on his neck where he is mising the feathers

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    i agree with above ^^
    He could also be moulting

4. Hambone

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    Quote:My dang chickens have always had pecking problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the hens are now pecking my roo. It's not as bad now that they free range everyday all day but it is a problem that I can not fix. I have tried everything. I kept them caged to long when I first got them and now they are peckers. Makes me so mad. I see everyone elses chickens and they look perfect fully feathered and mine look horriable. Now my roo is going to look bad also. Sorry for venting. It just makes me so mad.

5. Hambone

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    I have 16 chicks that I will eventually free range also. I am so affraid that when I put them with the others they will start pecking like the rest. I have tried everything. My new plan is to treat with 7 dust every 10 days and make sure they dont have any kind of mite causing all this to be taking place. I have tried DE. I am going to take a lot of pics of my birds and post pics after work today. I need everyones help so please stand by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by