1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Rooster is not walking well..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewBostonChick, Dec 12, 2012.

1. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Hello, My Rhode Island Red Rooster who is 2 1/2 yrs old, named Frosty, seems to be failing.. He was limping and now the last few days he is not walking much.. He is eating and drinking, but just lays in the coop. I tried to examine his legs and see nothing.. He still sqwauks when I touch him, but his crow has gotten weaker than his usual crow.... I had a thought about ticks and remember a recent story of a dog having tick paralysis.. I wonder if my Roo could have tick paralysis?? Anyone have any advice? Thanks.. Jane

2. leesbunny

leesbunny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Timbuctoo
    Are there any sores on his feet?

3. NewBostonChick

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    No sores on feet that I can see.. his claws/nails seem to be long and today he did walk with great difficulty, but trips over the other foot and it crosses onto his other foot.. I am baffled why a strong roo would not be able to walk well all of a sudden...

4. NewBostonChick

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    I did take Frosty the roo to a vet and he xrayed.. The vet said he has calcification build up on his foot and there is nothing much he can do for him... :-( I guess Frosty will be a sitting roo, unless I decided to get rid of him.. I am not sure what to do... I am going to look into different feed as perhaps what I buy from Blue Seal feeds is not balanced..? Thank you for responding...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by