my rooster is opening mouth gasping for air so often. Any tips/help?

Has he been wormed?

He is not eating as he should. Is he losing weight?

Where were his wounds? Were there puncture wounds? He may be trying to fight off an infection.
We are not sure if he’s been wormed but he was normal before everything occurred, we don’t have a weight to see if he is but he isn’t eating even if offered by hand. His wounds were in the upper back side of his body. He could and it’s almost been a month since the attack. His antibiotic were for 5 days and since then he did get better, don’t know where he went downhill and I am worried so much.

What kind of medication did the vet have him on? Was something to prevent infection, and did he finish his full round of that med?
It was antibiotics for 5 days and he did finish his medications days ago. It’s almost been a month since but he did get better afterwards. We introduced hens to him as the vet suggested to get him company and I’m afraid that they could’ve brought some sickness as they did start sneezing and seem sick but nothing compared to my roo.

My rooster has recently started to gasp for air and hasn’t been eating, I’ve been giving him orally water to keep him hydrated. His been inside as he is recovering from an attack. We did get him some company just like the vet had suggested, and now I am so devastated seeing him like this. Please someone help, anything is appreciated. He doesn’t have foamy eyes or anything. He does shake his head when gasping for air. He seems to raise his bottom eyelids to the middle but then stops. I will show footage if it can help in anything. Thank you.
I was able to find his crop and it seems to be indigested corn to be stuck. But I am still scared if it isn’t the crop

When was the last time you for sure saw him drink and/or eat?

Also, how long has it been since he first began gasping/swallowing?

To give the experts a better idea of the behavior he is exhibiting, it might be helpful if you could upload a video of exactly what he is doing. There is a video icon above where you type your response where you can link to the uploaded video:
20220813_223127.jpg 20220813_223152.jpg

Sorry to keep firing questions and requests at you!

Could he simply be hot? Don't think that would put him off his food but it might be why he's breathing like that. Just a thought...
He’s been inside during his recovery, then he started going outside once he got his hens, and then he went downhill

When was the last time you for sure saw him drink and/or eat?

Also, how long has it been since he first began gasping/swallowing?

To give the experts a better idea of the behavior he is exhibiting, it might be helpful if you could upload a video of exactly what he is doing. There is a video icon above where you type your response where you can link to the uploaded video:
View attachment 3222499View attachment 3222500

Sorry to keep firing questions and requests at you!
Don’t worry I will answer it to the best of my ability anything to help my Roo, he last crowed I’d say on Thursday the 11th, we got his hens on Tuesday. So I would assume he last ate around when he was okay. It would be since yesterday we started noticing him making the noises and gasping for air.
I apologize for the background noises.

Don’t worry I will answer it to the best of my ability anything to help my Roo, he last crowed I’d say on Thursday the 11th, we got his hens on Tuesday. So I would assume he last ate around when he was okay. It would be since yesterday we started noticing him making the noises and gasping for air.
I apologize for the background noises.
Could it be gape worm?

I'm going to guess he wasn't on an antibiotic long enough, and the bacteria has since multiplied. Ask the vet for a prescription.

The undigested corn may indicate he needs to have access to grit. If he's been indoors for several days without grit, he's likely growing an impacted crop. To be sure, check the crop in the morning before he eats anything. If you still feel corn in it, you need to give him a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil.

He should also probably be wormed if he hasn't been. I think I saw a couple of round worms in his poop.

All of these things can make a roo feel pretty sick.

Back
Top Bottom