MY ROOSTER IS REALLY SICK!! Might have to out him down!!!!!

ShelbyStauffert

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
Vancouver Island
My Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded D'uccle rooster has a number of problems right now!

First: I noticed that he has Fibular Dysplasia

Second: After a while I noticed he was opening his mouth to breath when I picked him up(normaly)

Third: After that bit I noticed his feathures were ruffled and he was uneasy with his standing ability.

Fourth: He had become more and more unstable as time has went by he can hardly walk anymore. He has to crawl across the coop too the food that I put in there for him since he can't get out of the coop.

Fifth: He hasn't been drinking water! Therefor his comb and the skin around his eyes are EXREMELY pale!!!!

Sixth: He has a runny nose!

Seventh: His breath is sweet smelling and his breathing is extremely slow!!!!!

Eighth: Hes just been sitting in the coop for the past week or so, hardly moving and his eyes are almost always closed.
sad.png

Should I put him down? What can I do??? I would be heart broken if I had to put him down because he's like my own dog. He's one of my 4H projects and I've grown very close to him!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

ALL COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!!!!!! <3

What medications do you have on hand?

It sounds like it could be a resp. infection by the slow breathing and runny nose.

Are there any bubbles in the front corners of his eyes?

Any swelling of the face or head?

First thing you need to do is make him drink water, maybe with a little sugar in it. Has he been eating normally, and what kind of feed?

I'd try to get some water in him -- try using a syringe or a dropper maybe, and gently "force" him to drink. He can't go on without water or he will die. And try the same technique with some probiotics, like yogurt, and/or electrolytes. They should help him perk up a bit. Wishing you luck with your boy!

Okay to I just looked at him and his eyes seem to be abit watery and the inside of his 'lips' like the edges of his mouth are really white(supposed to be red).
And I felt right under his beak on his throught and it seems to be tender and tough...?
I really don't know whats going on
sad.png

I don't have any thing to make his drink water! I looked all over my house and I can;t find one! I tried dipping his mouth in the water to make him drink and he just sits there limp and keeps his mouth open in the water.
sad.png

But I've cut up little pieces of apple, carrot and some peas and he seems to like the peas.

Back
Top Bottom