My rooster is rude

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PipieTuke, Apr 18, 2017.

Should i get rid of my Rooster

Poll closed Jul 31, 2017.
  1. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I want him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PipieTuke

PipieTuke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    My rooster Caligula has been causing problems since the start he is not friendly to the hens and i'm thinking of adding a new batch of chickens and one of the new chickens is a really nice bantam rooster and he is nice to them but tiny so i don't know if he would be able to protect all my hens. IDK

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    If the cockerel is a problem and isn't nice, why keep him? The Bantam cockerel might be a better bet. The hens don't really need protecting- they are good at looking after themselves. I voted get rid of Caligula. There isn't much point in keeping an unkind cockerel.

-Jet

3. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    thank you for your advice. :) i just didn't know about it since we have racoons and they are mean.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A rooster is unlikely to help you with a raccoon. While raccoons can be around during the day, the chickens can usually avoid them. It’s nighttime when the danger is highest, the chickens are asleep on the roosts and can’t avoid a raccoon.

Your best protection against a raccoon are good barriers, not a rooster.

In what way is that rooster rude? In some cases what we determine to be bad behavior is just typical chicken behavior. I don’t know your experience level and I certainly don’t want to insult you, but I remember one lady that got a shotgun and blew away a rooster for raping hen hens. Neither the rooster nor the hens were doing anything that was not normal and natural for chickens.

How old are the chickens in question? There can be a lot of differences in the behavior of cockerels and pullets versus mature roosters and hens. Also a dominant rooster will act differently than a subordinate rooster. That Silkies behavior could change if he becomes top rooster.

But the bottom line, don’t worry about one rooster being much help with raccoons. Neither one can win that fight. Keep the one that you are happiest with.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

X2 on all counts!

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If the cockerel is a problem and isn't nice, why keep him? The Bantam cockerel might be a better bet. The hens don't really need protecting- they are good at looking after themselves. I voted get rid of Caligula. There isn't much point in keeping an unkind cockerel.
    ---------
    Amen preach it! get rid of that rude Cockerel. there is no need to have a rude bird around .it just creates problems for everyone ...and sooner or later, somebody's going to get hurt by this bird. get rid of it!
    Karen

7. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    lol no he is abusing them. Im not crazy he WAS really hurting my hens and stressing em a bit ive had since i was 6 im good but thats funn how that lady could be so clueless and quote chicken rape sorry for my spelling im typing fast i understand dominance in chickens wait a bit im busy for like the next 40 mins

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If he is abusing them, then I agree. Get rid of him. There are too many good ones to put up with a bad one.

9. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Roosters are creatures of maniacal lust. Their need to reproduce is understandable, as in the wild, Red Jungle Fowl, the ancestors of chickens, needed to reproduce as quickly as possible in order to keep their numbers strong. But, in captivity, some roosters go overboard. :/ They will mate your hens mercilessly, some even to the point of injuring or even killing their mates. If you are getting a bantam rooster, I'd definitely advise either rehoming or culling this rooster; he may end up critically injuring the new banty- which is what his current dominance insinuates.
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    Though i have had roosters help me out with raccoons by attacking them of course he dies and the raccoon runs off with him instead of my beloved hens but yea i'm getting rid of him. Now that i think of it i have a new coop now so i don't think raccoons can get in anymore thank you for your advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by