My rooster is sick not sure what happened

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerphil, Nov 9, 2011.

1. farmerphil

farmerphil New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    I let them out while i was cleaning their house and run they usually like to go in the garden and scratch around im useing half of the garden for composting and i saw him in that but i watch what i put in there i was pretty sure their was nothing in there to hurt him they all have been in there a ton of times i did skootch them out of the neighbors yard they were'nt over there long but im not sure whats over there and they went in my wifes flower garden and scratched around last night he got real lathargic and i noticed his crown was dark red and looked dry hes not a year old yet im not sure what to do

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:How is he doing now?

Do you have a picture of the comb ( crown?)

My guess without more information would be that he ate something in the flower garden that he shouldn't of. However, that is just a real WILD guess without more information.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I know there are plants that can be toxic - my first thought is foxglove (digitalis) - do you know if that's in the garden? I've heard that's very toxic to pets and some wildlife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by