My Rooster is Singing the Egg Song!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joedie, Oct 22, 2010.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 8 BCM cockerals that were hatched May 2nd. I knew they were all boys at about 3-4 weeks old except for one who kept it a secret until he was 15 weeks or so. I have always referred to him as the "Androgynous roo". He doesn't have the coloring of the other BCM cockerals. He only has copper hackle feathers but the rest is greenish black like a BA and leg feathering is almost non existent. But he is definitely a boy. He recently moved himself from the BCM flock to the mixed flock while free ranging. Today I walked into the coop and there he stood on the nesting board singing the egg song. A few hens were in the boxes laying. I heard they might do this if frightened but I don't think I scare him. I've just never heard any other roo I've ever had do this. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    All my roosters like to brag, you'd think they had laid the egg. [​IMG]

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I have one that does it too. He is definitely a rooster, American Game. He walks around the yard and occasionally sings the song. I don't have any hens laying, not sure why he does that.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah mine too. [​IMG] Heck, I wouldn't have even noticed that the pullets were laying if it weren't for Ollie, the CX cockerel, announcing it to the whole world.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That could be the "I'm upset! Something's wrong with our world!" call, not the egg song. The two calls do sound similiar.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Okay so a little while ago this particular guy was breeding a hen when another rooster came from behind him and tried to breed him! I must just have too many roos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by