My rooster is stomping his feet at me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sreihart, Aug 9, 2010.

1. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 13 week old Buff Orp roo who seems to be getting very hormonal. I keep them in an 8x8 tractor during the day and let them out when I get home. He's the only roo out of 15 chickens, so when I'm not home, he's the top. When I first let them out he comes up to me and stomps his feet. I stomp my feet back at him and try to pick him up and let him know that I'm the boss. Is he threatening me?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is thinking about taking you on. Nip it in the bud or it will escalate.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes he is. Stomp back, snatch him up and hold him until he submits. Every day, several times a day.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes, since he's approaching maturity, he is feeling those male hormones, and he wants to be the boss. So, when he does that, snatch him up and hold him firmly under your arm. Even carry him around if you can, while doing your chores. Do it ALOT. In fact, as soon as you go to check on your chickens, go straight for him with a purpose in your step, and grab him up.

He will learn.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think it's so cute when they first do that! Noy so cute when they sneak up behind you and gore your bare calves with their spurs! I agree with others----put a stop to it while he's little.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes he is threatening you, trying to size you up, see what you do. You can and maybe should do as these folks have said, but I suggest you carry some scratch with you and toss it to him, off to the side away from you a bit. Try distracting him with a cup of so of scratch for him and the girls, scattered off out of your path so he has to choose between it and you, then go about your business. This works best with most roosters IMO. If he's going to keep up with the Macho act, yeah, maybe you'll need to get more agro with him, but maybe not.

It's just what I'd try first. I don't care to have my roosters be pets, I just want them to mind their own business so I can go about mine.

7. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    YOU ARE THE ALPHA BIRD!!!! Don't let him get away with it, or like everyone has said, he's gonna give ya a run for
    yur money....and they can be big roos!!!good luck:)

8. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all for your replies! That is going to help a lot. I do notice that he's sneaking up behind me and now I don't trust him. After we have our initial encounter and I pick him up and hold him, then he settles down and goes about scratching in the dirt and herding the girls around. I just love this bird so I need to nip it in the bud as suggested. Thanks again. I don't want this to get out of hand and I end up having a roo that I'm afraid of being around. Other than that he's been a gentleman for the most part.

9. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Maybe he wants to dance! [​IMG]

10. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:Thank you for my new Native American name.....wait for it......oh, c'mon you know......DANCES WITH CHICKENS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by