My rooster is suddenly acting weird

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hey!
I am sure that I should know this, but here goes. I was working on fixing a part of my chicken run and putting hay into the nesting boxes. My chickens are 21 weeks old, and some look as though they are ready to lay soon. I put some hay into there run just to give them something to peck at. I was working on fixing the run when I noticed that my rooster was attacking the hens. He is an orpington rooster, which kind of seems against there personality to be mean. He did so 3 times in a time span of about 30 minutes. He did it to 3 different hens, pulling on there neck feathers until they pulled away. The hens kind of freaked out when he did this. Is this a sign of a mean rooster? Is this him trying to mate with them? Should I be doing anything? Could the hay that I put in there be making him mean because he wants it all to himself? Thanks!

Sally PB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Is this him trying to mate with them?
Yes, most likely.

He's not a rooster, he's a cockerel. He's young and his hormones are probably raging. His breed doesn't matter; I had 2 Orps who went crazy at 4 months. Teenagerhood. The pullets (they aren't hens until 1 year old) are behind him developmentally, and that's normal. They aren't interested in his attentions.

Your pullets need places to get away from his attentions. Do they have something to get up on to get away from him (besides the roost in the coop)? Are there things they can get behind, like a pallet leaning against the wall of the run? Lots of clutter in the run helps.

4 sf/chicken in the coop and 10 sf/chicken in the run are the usual "guidelines," but this is an example of why more is usually better.

3KillerBs

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
My cockerel is 6 months old and neither the pullets his age nor the mature hens are impressed when he dances and tries to mate.

So far he's let go when they made a fuss -- a good sign. With a cockerel it's wait and see to know how he'll turn out.

Any suggestions on other stuff to put in there?

This is what my run looked like before they moved to the new coop:
0902210823_HDR.jpg

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Ok, I do not really have an option on the air conditioner, but I will try to make it more cluttered. What could happen with the air conditioner? I have the top covered, where you can see the fan. Will that help?

Crankkt

Chirping
Oct 8, 2021
Newfoundland, Canada
Sounds like your cockerel is trying to mate with the pullets. Like other have said the males mature faster than the pullets and they just aren't interested yet.

I just used some pieces of press board I had in the garage and placed it against the wall. Now there is several places for them to hide if needed.

Top Bottom