my rooster is unable to stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynette22, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Lynette22

Lynette22 New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    I am having breathing problems with my hens along with crusty eyes, sneezing, etc. We have tried Vitamin C, antibotics, apple cider vinegar. I have had two die in two days. We are thinking about having an autopsy done on the last one ($340) but it could take up to two weeks and by that time I will have lost more chickens. The vet recommended B 12 in liquid form...it says 1-3cc but doesn't say how many times a day. Help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where are you located? Your breathing issues would not be connected to the chickens. They may have a chronic respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) People can get other types of mycoplasma, but not that one. Is there any nasal drainage, chest rattles, or swelling of the face or eye? Is there a bad odor? A necropsy by your state vet should not cost that much normally, if you ship or take the bird yourself. It will however, if you go through a local vet. Here is a link to read about the symptoms of respiratory diseases to get an idea of what you are dealing with, and a link for contacting your state vet on prices and how to send a chicken in:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

1 person likes this.
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think that a multi B vitamin is good, but also something like Tylan or Penicillin for an upper respiratory infection.

4. Lynette22

Lynette22 New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    ok..I got the rooster booster vitamin B and it states 1cc to 3cc...I used the lessor amount as my rooster is only about 1.5 pounds...but how many times a day? Nothing on the bottle indicates anything like that. thanks. Lynette

5. Lynette22

Lynette22 New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    sorry, I didn't mean I had breathing problems it is my hens. No swelling around the face and no smell. We live in Michigan...we are trying to use vitamin C now and want to use vitamin b but don't know how many times a day I can give it to them.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know if the 1cc is per gallon of water or for one chicken. It's most likely a once daily dose. I would still think about antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by