My rooster is walking weird, **Added Video post #18**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steffpeck, Jul 31, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    My rooster for the last little bit has been walking really slow, but the last week or so I noticed that he is walking really stiff legged and almost putting one foot in front of the other, moving really slow like he may be in pain. He does feel like he may have lost a bit of weight, but he looks good, he has a really red comb & wattles. He is eating & drinking, crowing, and still do his roosterly duties [​IMG]. He sits around alot, he will take a few steps and then lay down for long periods at a time. He also has not roosted on the roost for quite a long time. The girls have picked on him quite a bit, they pick at his comb or wattle, so I chalked him not roosting up to being low on the pecking order. I have checked his legs and feet, nothing seems to be wrong. I just don't know what the deal is. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with him?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry the boy's feeling poorly. How old is he and what's his ration (does he eat layer feed with the hens?). How long since you first noticed the change (last wk. has been obvious but, before that?).

You might go ahead and try PLAIN Aspirin (5 325mg. tabs per gallon of water) and see if he loosens up.

3. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Can scaly leg mites be the problem?

4. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    He is only a year old. It has probably been 8 weeks or so when I first started noticing him slowing down. He eats layer feed with the hens plus free ranges some. He will take a few steps to grass, alfalfa, weeds and then lay down and eat. He also eats melons or yogurt when I give it to them. I have no idea on the scaly leg mites, how would I check for them?? I have looked at his legs, moved them around, checked his joints and nothing seems wrong.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Anyone else have any ideas??

6. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry, I forgot to ask last night: What breed? Since the weakness/stiff leg walking have been the only changes you've observed over 8 wk.s. It might be a skeletal problem (larger breeds/males tend towards this). It could be mycotoxins? Try the aspirin in water and see if he spends more time on his feet (if not, could rule out some sort of arthritic process).

This is a link on mycotoxins (some good chook anatomy), but an unlikely source of problem, as they all eat the same feed and your guy is the only one with symptoms.

http://www.engormix.com/effects_of_mycotoxins_on_e_articles_454_MYC.htm

7. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    He is a Dominique Roo.

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    steffpeck, could you post a pic of your roo ~ and maybe one closeup of his legs?

9. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Here are some pictures of Oppie my Roo.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took some video of him walking, If I can figure out how to get it on here, I will post that also. Thanks for the help!!

10. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Nice looking roo. Did you try the Aspirin? (5 of the 81mg. children's aspirin per qt. is another way to work it). I'm hoping someone will chime in with something else. Good luck (posting vid would definitely get more responses).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by