My rooster is weird...

tiggerb143

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2018
I have a silkie rooster that sometimes drags his head on the ground and backs up, when I pick him up he immediately puts his head under his body. Any suggestions whats up with him?

I have a silkie rooster that sometimes drags his head on the ground and backs up, when I pick him up he immediately puts his head under his body. Any suggestions whats up with him?
Have you looked him over carefully for external parasites? Try to get a really good look at his skin.

I will do that today thanks, but why him and no one else?..
Hard to say. Maybe he is more sensitive. Get a good look at him and if you find anything, all your birds should be inspected. Let us know what you find.
Others may also have ideas based on their experiences but if it was my bird, this is where I'd start.
Good luck!

Hi @tiggerb143 :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post photos of him?
How old is he?
A video of his actions would be good too - upload to youtube, then provide us a link.

The symptom you describe does sound neurological. It could be Wry Neck which is a symptom of an underlying condition or disease - vitamin deficiency, genetic disorder, head injury, Marek's, Avian Leukosis.

I would also check him very well for lice/mites, look in the ears for infection, check to make sure that he has no feathers in his eyes and see that his crop is empty in the morning before he eats/drinks.

You can try vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Give 400IU Vitamin E, 1/4 tablet of B-Complex and some egg daily for a week.

Look forward to your photos/video and more information.

Back
Top Bottom