My rooster jumps at me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lacyrue13, Aug 7, 2014.

1. lacyrue13

lacyrue13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Ohio
    Hi, I'm new to BYC and was wondering if anyone could tell me my rooster jumps at me. It is only myself he does it to, my husband can walk right by him and he does nothing, but if I walk by him he jumps and hits my legs, he's also come running after myself when I went walking down our hill.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have recently had similar issues with my roo. I think its because we are always messing around with "their" hens. I have read to NOT back down and to try and pick them up and carry them around for awhile. I haven't carried him around but I stopped the slowly backing up as well as trying to walk around his hens instead of coming between him and them. It seems to have made a difference. if he continues to show any signs of aggression, I will try to re home him to someone that isnt messing around in the coop all the time and just wants a flock protector or breeder

3. lacyrue13

lacyrue13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Ohio
    I have started to walk around he and the hens. I don't think I could get rid of him he's part of the family. (I'm such and animal lover) LOL

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I make it a point to not walk around any of the girls, and especially not around the rooster. In fact, if he gets in my personal space, I spend a while purposefully walking around behind him, making him move out of my way. I won't allow him to breed the girls in front of me. If he tries to, I scoop him up and give him a flying lesson.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Any rooster who attacks people should NOT reproduce! This is inherited behavior, not a good thing. You can try moving him away from you and generally acting 'alpha', hoping that he sees the light. Most often the bad behavior gets worse over time, and he can do serious damage to you and certainly to children. Invite him to dinner! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by