My rooster just laid an egg!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cicene mete, Dec 24, 2008.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    my 24-week-old, whom I thought was a cockerel, seems to have become a pullet. I've heard of hens becoming roosters, but this is a new one for me!

Back in October, I posted my suspicion that Dolly was a boy

The consensus was that he was. He had the following characteristics compared to his RIR sister:he feathered far later, especially in the wing bows; his tail was stumpy and curved down, but hers was straight and went up. He walked much more upright and was more assertive. He had an absolute fit when I tried to pick him up, but she was calm.
    Soon, he began getting long black feathers from his tail, and he even began to try to mount the girls. His neck feathers were darker and shiny. He grew bigger and weighed significantly more.

Then, one day when I went into the pen, his long tail feathers were gone. I thought maybe the others plucked them, but I couldn't tell. He stopped mounting the girls, and he became very placid when I tried to pick him up. It was like night and day, as before he would completely freak out.

He (Out of force of habit, I'm still using the male pronoun) still is bigger, and his neck feathers are shinier. He also completely avoids the hen pecking order. When I reintroduced a pullet who had been sick, the others chased her from the food and were generally mean for several days, but Dolly was completely fine and willing to share.

Today, Dolly laid an egg. [​IMG] I think I have an intersexed chicken. Dolly still has a number of male characteristics, but has lost a number of others. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Merry Christmas, and have another egg-nog! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a hen that likes to mount other hens. Go figure.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:It's a dominance thing. It sounds like Dolly's at the top of the pecking order, which could explain her willingness to share with the reintroduced pullet -- she had the confidence of being the boss.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you have a flock rooster (other than Dolly, when you thought s/he was a roo)?

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    No, this is something new to me! But, do tell me what you feed, I have several roos I wish were pullets. [​IMG]

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Orrrrrrr...IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!
    Congrats on the new egglayer!

And Merry Christmas!

8. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Quote:No, no rooster. That's a good point, as I know some hens take on that role if there's no roo. It's the physical change (and remaining differences) that's so odd. Everyone who came over thought Dolly was a roo. They would spot her immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by