My Rooster just saved a Calf's life.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pengimama, Aug 1, 2011.

1. pengimama

pengimama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Irwin, OH
    Ever since Pengi started crowing, I have been told I would have to get rid of him. He's been a super protector of the girls, but today Pengi just earned his keep. I was sitting here reading and Pengi started crowing. I looked out and he was obviously upset and protecting the girls from something so I ran outside. The chickens play in the pen with the calves a lot, but today my landlords mastiff was attacking the calves. A calf lost part of an ear and has some injuries to its head and neck but if it wasn't for the fact that Pengi was out there and attracting attention, that calf wouldn't have had a chance against that dog.

I just had to share. Most people wouldn't think this is a big deal but I know you all understand how I am feeling right now.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Good Rooster, I think he's a keeper!

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a huge deal! Esp. to the poor calf. Great job Pengi and to you for taking his crowing seriously. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG] [​IMG] a keeper for sure!!!!! He will protect all that belongs there for you from now on. I have one like that as well. give that roo a handful of scratch and a pat on the back!

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Give that boy a treat!! He earned it!!

6. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Definately a keeper! Go Pengi!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good for Pengi-- what's going to be done about the mastiff? He will repeat this behavior. Perhaps when no one is around to intervene.

9. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    That's awesome! Well that he saved the calfs life!

10. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    That is a VERY big deal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by