1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Rooster Just Saved Me From a Bat

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 13, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Seriously.

Tonight I went to water and feed the birds in the barn. I was caring for the chicks in the brooder when my RIR roo, Crooked Toes, gave me a warning trill and looked up. I follow his gaze and at that moment, a bat flies overhead. I ducked in time so it missed me. It flies up into the rafter and bounces around up there.

The birds are understandably upset and watch this intruder carefully, letting me know where it is if it leaves my sight. I'm freaked. The bat is diving around, looking for a way to get out. I don't want it near me because of the rabies potential. I finally get the brooder closed and go to the door. I open it and dash out to the front of my car. The bat finds the opening and comes out and flies within 3 feet of me as I'm flailing and wishing I had brought a shotgun or something. At that moment, it veers and flies out into the night.

I lock up the barn and drive the car back to the house, shaking.

I'm going to have to thank Crooked Toes tomorrow.

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Couldn't help it! Thank goodness for crooked toes! Reminds me of the time I walked into a spider's web and was running around the yard screaming. Put on a nice show for the neighbors!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I don't think the bat was any threat to you. It probably was just scared, and wanted out, is all! [​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    b.hromada :

I don't think the bat was any threat to you. It probably was just scared, and wanted out, is all! [​IMG]

Rabies. [​IMG]

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sorry but [​IMG] [​IMG]v

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I remember when I was painting my gramma's house, standing on a ladder to paint up under the eaves next to the brick fireplace chimney.

Her house was white. The paint was white. I painted a bat's face white.

It unfolded out of that nook, or cranny, and flew at me. I vaulted backwards off the ladder and actually landed on my feet before my knees gave way and I crumpled to the ground. Luckily I left the bucket o' paint on the paint stand on the ladder, but I flung the paint brush off... somewhere.... into the huckleberry bushes, I guess.

And the white-faced bat flew off into the trees.

Now, about your situation: give Crooked Toe and hug from me!

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Oh my. That would've simply caused me to hire painters.[​IMG]

I was surprised at how well that roo really notices things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by