1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my rooster just went broody.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frizzleman74, Nov 3, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    I HAVE MY FIRST BROODY.....but it's my silkie rooster. It was sold to me in a pair and my silkie rooster had a definite different build then my silkie hen. I had a feeling that my silkie roooster had been the one laying the eggs but now that its gone broody, im really confused. If you looked at it it looks like a rooster to me, but he has never crowed and hes about a year! Is he a little confused.. he's been siting in the nest fro a couple days now and squacks at me when I touch him.

Here "he" is..
    [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If he's not crowing and he's laying eggs and he's gone broody.....I'd say he's a she :)

3. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I'd love it if my roosters laid eggs [​IMG]

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    BaGAWK!! :

I'd love it if my roosters laid eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Uh, I'm not sure which is appropriate... are consolations or congratulations in order?

6. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Silkies [​IMG] never have been the smartest birds on the roost. [​IMG]

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]
    I'm raising three chicks for my granddaughter now. I turned her loose with the Ideal catalog and wouldn't you know she picked sikies? I was hoping for anything but sikies or polish![​IMG]
    I really tried to steer her towards the OEGBs, leghorns or something else with a brain or a use.

9. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I would have kept my Silkie cockerel if he would have gone broody! I need another 'incubator'! My two are already sitting on eggs and raising chicks. [​IMG]

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG] Great story! I'd probably say he was a she too.
    I had a hen who looked a lot like a rooster. Massive comb and wattles, and she had a really long tail too before the clutz managed to get it shredded on an adventure with the chain-link fence. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by