My rooster keeps puncturing his comb, and losing LOTS of blood!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KWGypsyChickenGirl, Jul 26, 2010.

1. KWGypsyChickenGirl

KWGypsyChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Ok, my poor rooster, Diego keeps hitting his comb on things until it bleeds profusely. It's happened 3 times in the past month and a 1/2. This morning when I let him out of his coop he was fine, then next thing I know, he's bleeding all over the place! All it is is a very small puncture on one of his points. I put pressure on it with a towel for 2 hours and it was still gushing all over the place. I sent my boyfriend to get some super glue, and thankfully that sealed it shut, although it took a lot. Anyway, my question is, is there anything that can be put on his comb to prevent it from being punctured? This is getting very old. I hate to see this happen to him all the time, and I'm afraid I won't catch it in time one of these days, and he'll bleed to death. I really don't want to lose my cock-a-doodle-dude! He's my baby! Please help!!![​IMG]

2. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    One of the books I picked up on coop building had a very good tip. It stated to crawl on your hands and knees and child proof it as you would for a infant/toddler. Remove, cover up and sharp pointy corners , wire etc etc. I thought this was a very silly thing to do for a chicken coop and didn't do it untill one of my hens poked the side of her head on a screw that had came out the otherside of a piece of lumber inside of the run.So instead of putting some silly looking hat on your rooster I would start there and hope your chicken isn't doing it on purpose.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. KWGypsyChickenGirl

KWGypsyChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Their coop is actually child proofed. I made sure of that, but it's not that simple because my chickens have total run of my yard, which isn't very big, throughout the day. They like to hang out under my house, and in the bushes, and I'm sure Diego's just getting into things that he shouldn't be, so funny chicken hat, here we come! [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Time for a ROO HELMET! [​IMG]

5. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I found that the hens were picking at the scab on the comb and making it bleed.
    I took him out of the pen for a couple of weeks to let it heal.
    put some kind of ointment to promote healing
    neosporin, firstaid cream etc

6. molly d

molly d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by