My Rooster killed my lakenvelder hen

Duramaxgirl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Idaho
Ok so my EE cross roo 'Ford' is just starting to breed and I have seen him be quite violent with the hens. Also my SLW hens are getting bare backs in just 3 or so weeks of breeding. Any how 3 days ago he was breeding my Lakenvelder hen Angel and after he did he continued to shake her by the neck until he tore open a large wound. She was not doing so good so we took her in the garage right after and nursed her for 3 days and she died this morning. I was puting antibiotic ointment on her wounds she also had 2 very large puctures on her back. And my sister who was a vet tec super glued her head wound. So I would apply hydgrogen peroxide every day and antibiotic ointment aswell. She had fresh clean water with vitamins and electrolites and crumbles always right with her so she could eat and drink and I gave her a heat lamp to keep her warm.
Ford is a beautiful Rooster and I do like him. But I'm thinking freezer camp might be in order because this seems to be pretty aggressive for a 1st time breeder. what do you guys think???
Thanks for the help everyone Angel was my favorite of the lakenvelders as she jumped on my sholder and would eat out of my hand I really miss her but I don't want to 'do in' Ford unless totally necessary.

I"d chop and eat!!
big_smile.png

Oh that's terrible... I'm so sorry for your sweet Angel
sad.png
hugs.gif

I refuse to keep any rooster that isn't an absolute gentlemen with the girls, no matter what.

Their health, well-being and quality of life comes first!

I have rehomed a superb rooster just because of that (he was mating with the girls too much and ripping their head feathers off) and will do it again if I need to.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

I wouldnt keep a rooster that is violent with his hens- that sort of thing is a trait that can be passed on to subsequent generations, making them less favorable for sales and less useful in general. Eat him. Or just cull him and feed him to the dog.

For future reference, super glue, or crazy glue, works great to stitch up a gaping wound. I have use it MANY times to saves my chickens lives. Theyre all still living happily. It works MUCH better than thread and needle, as bird skin is unbelievably like crape paper and tears. The glue can touch the insides of the chicken (provided its not guts) and everything still works just fine.

OK thanks everyone. I'm gonna have chicken dinner then. I do have a Cuckoo Marans roo that is so far a sweet heart. I hope he stays that way! My husband wanted 'to do him in' the first night it happened but I wasn't sure. He went right under that chicken coop to rescue Angel after it happend kneeling in chicken poo the whole time. He really enjoys the chickens and would sit and visit with angel while she was in the garage. He even got up in the night to 'check on her' I know they are just chickens but I guess they are more family members around here....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom